Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasoncoco

New bonsai Collection

jasoncoco
14 years ago

Hello everyone. Just wanted to show off some new bonsai trees i got off a guy on craigslist. All together there was over 100 trees. About 50 of which were being trained as bonsai. Unfortunately a lot of the trees are unhealthy and need some training, but for the price i got it was a steal. Anyway here are some of the pics. I will post more as i take them. Thanks, Jason.

Japanese Red Maple

{{gwi:23936}}

Bald cypress and juniper

{{gwi:23938}}

Chinese Elm

{{gwi:23940}}

Another JRM

{{gwi:23941}}

Comments (9)

• larke
    14 years ago

Can I ask what you paid for the whole thing? You probably got a better deal on the pots!

• jasoncoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea probably so. I got a Lot of pots too.Paid 900 bucks. There was over 200 poly pots that are different sizes. About 1/4 are new. And a bunch of clay pots as well. I also got a bunch of nursery pots also.

Thanks, Jason.

• larke
    14 years ago

Oh Jason... you didn't post many pictures, so it's hard to say much, but from what I see, there is only one "bonsai" in training, and a lot of either overgrown but untrained large trees and a bunch more "sticks-in-pots". That's a lot of money to have paid for a bunch of pots you may never use.

• jasoncoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are all looking the way they are because they guy neglected them for almost 2 years. I dont really think he did much training in the area of wiring either, Just pruning. I believe i got a great deal. I will post mor pics later. Bonsai does not have to be a massive trunk to be a bonsai either. If i dont think i will use all the pots, i can sell them on ebay or something. I can start wiring branches and in a few years i will have some great looking bonsai. Which one are you referring to as a bonsai in training?

• larke
    14 years ago

The ? Juniper or Thuja in the round black pot on the concrete block next to a biig tree. No, massive trunks are not necessary, but possibly growing in the ground for a couple of years to at least get some trunk development beyond what look like yesterday's cuttings might be in order. There is a difference, for instance, between a trained literati and a stick in a pot and those top thingies are sticks, maybe with great futures, though. Good luck with them.

• jasoncoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its a juniper. Not sure what type though. I agree that those you are talking about are sticks in pots. There were a few of those, but the majority of the trees are ok. They just need some shaping and TLC. Hopefully with with a few years, they will look more like real bonsai. There were about 100 trees total. Probably close to 300 poly pots. About 40 clay ceramic pots. Hundreds of nursery pots. I think it was a good deal. I wouldn't have bought them in this troubled time if i didn't. Thanks, Jason.

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Too bad you weren't around when I was clearing out a few years ago LOL.

Bob

• shohinken
    14 years ago

jasoncoco,

I know you can't wait until spring to see what you really have
    and begin to work on the trees. There is a lot of work ahead of you and a lot of potential.

Best wishes,
    Shohinken

• jasoncoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes shohinken, you are right. Definitely have a lot of work. I will have to re pot all, because they are in terrible medium. It looks like a compact mud. I dont know how many i will work on as far as pruning and wiring. I really want them to heal first. The elms and crape myrtles im thinking will be fine. They can take alot of pain. I took more pictures, but the quality is crap. I dont feel like posting them, so i will wait until i get better ones.

Thanks, Jason.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH