Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

WANTED: How do you pack bare root plants or bulbs for shipping?

natalie4b
15 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this and would like to offer some of the bulbs and bare root plants from my garden for trade.

I want to make sure I pack them correctly and they arrive healthy.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Natalie

Comments (3)

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Natalie, I can tell you how I pack them to ship. Email me with your 'have' list and also your 'wish' list - I need some bulbs!

To ship bulbs:

Dig bulbs and wash all the soil off the bulb/roots, then let dry over night.

Get some newspaper and wrap each bulb individually.

LABEL the bulbs, using masking tape, which will also help hold the newspaper on.

Place them in the box and use wadded up newspaper to fill in the spaces, so the bulbs don't roll around and get bruised.

Secure the bulbs and newspaper with masking tape for further secure travel.

Make labels for your box, use strapping tape to secure the box, take it to the post office and GET A GUARANTEE of delivery, so you don't get stiffed!

EMAIL the recipient and let them know when you mail them, so they can be looking for the box. Ask THEM to email you when they get the box.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much kayjones for the packing instructions.
    I will know what bulbs I will have for trade or SASBE this Spring.
    Will post on my account then.
    Thanks again for the great tips!
    ~Natalie

• Roberta Voss Pelayo
    8 years ago

Kayjones...I'm moving from Calif to Arizona and want to take a clump of 7 yr old tuberose from my garden with me. The foliage has just started to emerge. I need to ship them so will cleaning off the soil stop the growing cycle or will it continue in a week or so when I replant them?

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996