Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: How do you pack bare root plants or bulbs for shipping?

Posted by natalie4b 8 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 7:01

Hello,
I am new to this and would like to offer some of the bulbs and bare root plants from my garden for trade.
I want to make sure I pack them correctly and they arrive healthy.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: How do you pack bare root plants or bulbs for shippi

Natalie, I can tell you how I pack them to ship. Email me with your 'have' list and also your 'wish' list - I need some bulbs!

To ship bulbs:

Dig bulbs and wash all the soil off the bulb/roots, then let dry over night.

Get some newspaper and wrap each bulb individually.

LABEL the bulbs, using masking tape, which will also help hold the newspaper on.

Place them in the box and use wadded up newspaper to fill in the spaces, so the bulbs don't roll around and get bruised.

Secure the bulbs and newspaper with masking tape for further secure travel.

Make labels for your box, use strapping tape to secure the box, take it to the post office and GET A GUARANTEE of delivery, so you don't get stiffed!

EMAIL the recipient and let them know when you mail them, so they can be looking for the box. Ask THEM to email you when they get the box.

o
RE: WANTED: How do you pack bare root plants or bulbs for shippi

Thank you so much kayjones for the packing instructions.
I will know what bulbs I will have for trade or SASBE this Spring.
Will post on my account then.
Thanks again for the great tips!
~Natalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here