Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: White spider lily - Hymenocallis

Posted by easttexasgirl zone 8 (lisaallbright@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 23:38

HAVE

White spider lily - Hymenocallis - summer blooming - huge, tantalizing-fragrant white flowers that are nearly 7 inches wide. Has deep green, sword-like foliage and 2-foot tall stems and usually bear from two to nine fragrant flowers. Full to part sun. My die down each winter and come back each year...very low maintenance and self-muliply. Spider lilies are perfect around water features in the landscape. They excel in a tropical-style garden with bananas, elephant ears and ferns. Louisiana iris lovers may want to have bold drifts of white spider lilies separating some of that plant's bright purples, blues or yellows. These are well established bulbs. Would like plants from my WANT list, but I'm open, please ask.

WANTED

Lily, Monte Negro
Lily, American Spirit
Lily, American Dream
Lily, American Ingenuity
Voodoo Lily - (Amorphophallus bulbifer) 'Ab Ba Ka Dabra'
Bloodlily
Amaryllis -lemon-lime
Amaryllis - Papillio
Amaryllis - San Antonio
Amaryllis - Germa
Amaryllis - Lima
Amarylis - Belladonna - (pink)
Pineapple Lily (Eucomis)
Colocasia gigantea 'Giant Elephant Ear'
Vine - Crossvine - (Bignonia capreolata)
Banana pup - Cavendish
Banana pup - Texas Star
Banana pup - Variegated
Banana pup - Raja Puri
Banana pup -
Hosta - 'Fragrant Blue'
Hosta - 'Fragrant Bouquet'
Hosta - 'Fried Bananas'
Hosta - 'Galaxy Light'
Hosta - 'Guacamole'
Hosta - 'Austin Dickinson'
Hosta - 'Stained Glass"
Iris - Chrysographes (black)
German Iris - Snow Mountain (white/dark blue)
German Iris - Cimarron Strip
Dutch Iris - Eye of the Tiger - (brown/blue)
Dutch Iris - Oriental Beauty (yellow blue)
Calla Lily
Lily - Acapulco Lady - (hot pink)
Acanthus (Bears Breech)-spinosus - (mauve)
Alstroemeria (Sweet Laura) (yellow)
Hardy Cyclamen
Hardy Fuchsia
Jack in the Pulpit - Cobra lily
Lily of the Valley -convallaria majalis
Trailing Strawberries 'Bakker's Kingsize'
Arisarum proboscideum (Mouse Plant)
Crinum Lily 'Sangria'
Crinum Lily 'Stars and Stripes'
Crinum Lily 'Carnival'
Iris laevigata 'Variegata' (Striped Water Iris)
Lisianthus

FRUIT
Blueberries:
Brightwell
Bounty
Darrow
Briteblue
Delite
Misty Blue
Dryland Blueberries(V. pallidum Ait)
Honeyberry, 'Berry Blue'
Honeyberry, 'Blue Belle'

I'm open, make me an offer...thanks!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: White spider lily - Hymenocallis

• Posted by bobbih z10 San Diego (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 10:13

I have calla Green Goddess. It can get large, (my older ones are almost 5' tall. The flower is variegated green and white. Used as a long lasting cut flower in the industry. Could trade 4-5 young plants for same number of spiders. Bobbi

o

Dear Lisa

I am so glad I found your site. I am an artist working in England. I mostly paint botanical subjects and I was given a photograph of the white spider lily last year from a friend who visited South Africa and found one there.

I have since approached The Eden Project in Cornwall, England to see if they had any knowledge of this plant, but they do not. The Eden Project is a major conservation project which has a tropical biome in which the spider lily might thrive.

I would be most interested in finding out what growing conditions the lily likes and whether it would be possible to grow it here in the tropical biome.

I am also interested in how the lily is polenated. With the anthers being so far apart, we thought that it might be Humming Birds that spread the pollen, with the action of its wings.

I would be most intersted to find out as much as possible about this flower as The Eden Project have commissioned a book (the fourth one) and the subject will be exotic flowers.

I have been lucky enough to be published in the last book, and if I can get enough information about the lily and a really good image to reproduce in watercolour, I may be accepted for publication again later on this year.

I see that you have a list of plants you would like to swap, and it may be possible for me to ask the Eden Project if they have any that we can sent you in exchange for a specimen of the Spider Lily.

Its a big ask, but might work, I am going down to Eden in May for a painting day, and will ask the chief horticulturalist then if we can do a swap.

I hope I have not taken up too much of your time and would really love to hear from you regarding this lovely and unusual plant.

With kindest regards

Yours sincerely

Ann Jelley

o

Are any of these white hem. daylily still avavilable, have many thing you may be interested on my trade list and shoot me an e-mail so we can chat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here