Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn73521

HAVE: Red Surprise Lilies (Naked Ladies)

dawn73521
15 years ago

These will be ready to ship as soon as they finish blooming. Have RED Surprise Lilies (naked ladies)... Not keeping any of these. When they are gone, they are GONE.

Willing to trade these for any plants, cuttings, bulbs, shrubs, etc that bloom PURPLE.

Comments (8)

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

Are they Lycoris radiata?

• dawn73521
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lycoris Radiata is what I've been told. It was on my land when I bought the place and SURPRISED me this year with a display. (My weed whacker hadn't been nearly as active and so the Lily had a chance).

Here is the info the nice lady sent me on it:

Lycoris radiata var. radiata
    Red Spider Lily

This bulb was first discovered by Herbert in about 1850 and is native to Japan and China. It was brought to the United States soon after the Civil War and rapidly spread westward by southern gardeners. Ours are the true heirloom form (triploid vigor) and not the newer (dipoid forms) recently imported from Japan. They are hysteranthous (flowering-before leaves appear) and the large red flowers appear on naked stems in September. They are one of the bulbs which actually likes water during their dormancy period and failure to provide it can result in failure to bloom. The showy display of the spider lily lasts for weeks, and once the flowers fade, the foliage lasts all winter. The hysteranthous (flowers prior to leaves appearing) blooms can be seen from great distances and are long lasting as cut flowers. They prefer partial shade and well-drained garden soil. They are fast-growing and quickly form large bulb clumps that can be separated and planted. Another southern garden gem we love to grow in our gardens. Recommended for growing in zones 7-9.

*** She also sent a photo of HER Lycoris Radiata and is looks kinda similar to mine but not quite.***

If you want to see a photo of MY plant you can go to this place where I post my photos of my plants:
    http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?list=have&member=Delightful_Dawn
    (This shows ALL of my plants that I have photos of so please just scroll down until you see the Lycoris Radiata). I still haven't figure out how to access just my INDIVIDUAL photos that I've posted there.)

If you want some of these lilies please e-mail me. You don't have your preferences set up so that I know what your e-mail is... Thanks...

Dawn

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Dawn, emailing you.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Dawn, I am waiting on your side of the trade!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Thank you Dawn for your beautiful box of bulbs that I received today!

• satgardening
    14 years ago

I have the pink surprise lillie (naked lady) I have never heard of the red, would love to have some. I have purple passion vine and the seeds from purple clematis vine.....sat

• melah
    14 years ago

would love to have some! please have a look at my trade list! i have a huge purple verbena i was just getting ready to dig up, interested?
    thanks

• dawn73521
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, no more Red Surprise Lilies available.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz