18 years ago

Christmas Pearl

{{gwi:2613}}

Valerie Finnis

{{gwi:2614}}

Comments (5)

• Gentian_NY
    18 years ago

Nice images. My Valerie Finnis aren't that far along yet, thanks for the early treat.

• Tenderheart_Zone5
    18 years ago

Tree_Oracle, these are some of the most beautiful plants I've ever seen--And I've never heard of them! After looking them up in the Hortiplex here, I see that they're types of Hyacinth (which I *have* heard of), but I wonder why they're never mentioned in articles or discussions of *blue* flowers? These are so amazingly blue--and beautiful. Wow, wow, wow! :)

• Molineux
    18 years ago

Robert Geneve writes extensively about grape hyacinths in A Book of Blue Flowers, but I know what you mean about the relative lack of prose in regards to these spring blooming bulbs. They aren't praised nearly enough by horticultural writers. The flowers really are true blue in color and the bulbs are easy as pie to grow, tolerant of both sun or shade. Last autumn I planted them underneath a white river birch tree in my front yard. Dry and shady growing conditions yet the first week of April I had a thick carpet of brilliant cobalt blue blossoms that lasted for four weeks. The contrast between the snowy white bark of the birch and the azure grape hyacinths was very striking.

In terms of color purity and intensity only my Endless Summer hydrangeas can match them (my soil is heavy clay and soundly acidic). Design wise the size and shape of the flower clusters have a fey like quality that really adds a note of magic and mystery to that spot. IMHO they are a must have for lovers of blue flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Book of Blue Flowers at Amazon.com

• tree_oracle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's been a while since I've looked at this forum so I didn't realize anyone had responded to my post. Molineux, good to hear from one of my fellow rose enthusiasts. TenderHeart, as Molineux pointed out, these are very easy to grow. Some of the ones that I have aren't even formally planted. I just buried some in the mulch around my trees and in some of my bed and they still do fine. They multiply rapidly and that deep blue color provides a nice contrast to the yellows, reds, and oranges and whites of many spring blooming bulbs and plants. The only thing I don't like about grape hyacinths is that they produce foliage in the fall that looks like a bunch of green spaghetti during the winter. It also provides one more thing to clean up when it dies off the following year. However, it's worth it given the long bloom time of these bulbs and as a bonus they are also quite fragrant especially in mass.

• Tenderheart_Zone5
    18 years ago

Tree Oracle, now it's my turn to say I haven't checked back here for responses in awhile. :) I just came back here to link a friend to your photos. :) Thank you for the information; I'll definitely be trying these. :)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor