Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

Hippeastrum forced at 8-17 degC

haweha
18 years ago

This year my appartment is rather crowded with seedlings under fluorescent and high pressure metal halide light, so I put my big pots with "adults" outdoors and... they are just coming now although the air temperatures actually falls to 4 degC in the night.

I like to show a hybrid of my "Anne" breeding series - my quickest seedling - one which already began to sprout strongly while still kept dry and at 8-17 degC, too, on its winter reposal place - and has now bloomed for me, bearing a particular color structure on its flower segments which made it impossible to sharpen the photo image after resizing it.

{{gwi:3036}}

{{gwi:3037}}

The influence from "Anne" is clear from these numerous fine spots particularly on the lower half of the bloom. In sum I yielded a color combination I had not "preformed" in my mind when I performed the respective crossbreedings.

Hans-Werner

Comments (15)

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well "Anne" has become a considerable part in my breeding efforts, bearing the nicest perfectly cigar shaped buds with dense spotting and developimg a nice frilling on the edges of the flower segments when fully bloomed up.The lower half of the segments show spotting too, partially embedded in the red basic color.

{{gwi:3038}}

I am sending greetings to France, to Anne who moved to this country when she had finished her studies, and who friendly gave this single unnamed plant away that she had fortunately bought at a local garden discounter, to me, because of my interest. What a pity that I have lost contact to her. I have meanwhile an increasing count of hybrids I appreciate very much, keeping "Anne" in their origin; one example:
    {{gwi:3040}}

As can be immediately guessed from its shape it is containing some OrangeSovereign blood....
    The entire breeding recipe was
    (Anne x RedLion) x (Anne x Orange Sovereign)

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My garden *ggg*, actually, on the 6th floor under the rooof....
    with Crinum moorei,
    Best seedling of Minerva x Orange Sovereign (yes the fat red blooms in the background)
    dark buds of Red Pearl
    Lemon Lime
    Baby Star
    triploid seedlings of H.aulicum v.robustum

{{gwi:3042}}

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ooops
    no one insisted:
    Funny

triploid seedlings of ...
    correctly and complete now:
    H.aulicum v.robustum x H."Liberty"

Perhaps I am fortunate and these perfectly shaped gracile beauties are NOT dead end hybrids...

• Bergit
    18 years ago

Elsewere you led me, and probably others, to the gallerie. You were quite right, I hadn't discovered that part of the bulbs forum, even though it was right under of my nose.

In Norway the second half of May and June so far has been unusually cold and rainy so my H.-s are still inside.

How are your out-of-door-Hippeastrums doing, have they suffered from the cold weather you mentioned earlier ?

• Bergit
    18 years ago

English is not my first language, and I sometimes make terrible mistakes & misspellings, - some that I discover and probably many that I don't.

It was supposed to be "right under" not "right under of", - just had to say it !

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No problem,
    Bergit;

My amaryllis did not suffer at all, as I expected.
    They only suffer if they are exposed to cold and WET.
    That is the important difference!
    Provided the uppermost part of the bulb and the green parts of the plants and particularly the HEART remain completely dry no fungal diseases get access to the plant - although its resistance forces are lower when kept cold for a prolonged time.

Unfortunately (but as expected, too,) these both beautifull scarlet red 3ploid H.aulicum x "Liberty" failed in producing seeds...

The last Hippeastrums to come into bloom will be the highlight of the season. These are as I already indicated elsewhere 4 seedlings of H.papilio + ("Ambiance" x "Donau").
    OhOh...Big curiousity and excitement meanwhile!

Hans-Werner

• Bergit
    18 years ago

I look forward to the pictures !

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What about this:
    The actual state of my "garden"
    {{gwi:3045}}

Minerva x Picotee
    (typical result; remember the "Amarena Balls" in contrast)
    {{gwi:3048}}

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:3051}}

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

Hans-Werner, what is the parentage of that last one? It's gorgeous! What a beautifully shaped flower.

Many thanks for posting all of these.

Amanda

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Amanda;

The parentage is
    "Picotee" x "Anne" (unregistered, see info & 1st photo above)
    {{gwi:3053}}href> X {{gwi:3056}}href>

It was one outstanding exception among more common results like typically:
    {{gwi:3059}}href>

Amaryllogene greetings
    Hans-Werner

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Hans-Werner,
    The netting of the first seedling is quite lovely but the third picture just knits my socks! The contrast and clarity are very fine and the petal structure is graceful.
    The Picotee X Anne is also quite lovely,nice stippling. All in all,a well packed growing space! Lora

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For actual reasons:
    I like to update with a gallery of several hippeastrums which I forced outdoors in 2004 and 2005.

{{gwi:3062}}href>
    Minerva x Red Lion

{{gwi:3065}}href>
    Prins Carneval x Red Lion

{{gwi:3067}}href>
    H.aulicum v.robustum x Liberty

{{gwi:3070}}href>
    Lemon (and) Lime

{{gwi:3073}}href>
    H.papilio x ( Donau x Ambiance )

{{gwi:3076}}href>
    Baby Star

{{gwi:3081}}href>
    Pink Floyd

{{gwi:3085}}href>
    Amarena Balls = Minerva x Picotee

{{gwi:3088}}href>
    Flamingo = unlabeled burgundy red x Picotee

{{gwi:3091}}href>
    Appleblossom

{{gwi:3094}}href>
    #1 of unlabelled white x Appleblossom
    (#4 in the background)

{{gwi:3098}}href>
    #4 of unlabelled white x Appleblossom

• devilx
    18 years ago

Those are some incredible blooms! I have to pick my jaw up from the keyboard. Awesome! :-)

Cheers
    Sean

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Thankyou for the show! I love seeing your seedlings.