Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

Hippeastrum 'Flamingo'

haweha
18 years ago

Until now I have been rather fortunate in obtaining very beautifull from my small breeding stock and the raising of seedling on a low scale
Professional breeders and all those who have the opportunity to raise thousands of seedlings to bloom maturity in their private gardens might laugh about the low count of a grex of seedlings from an individual crossbreeding I select in order to bring into the bloomable state (never more than 21).

Well; on this very day I am laughing:

The haweha one-man registration office has just approved the newest novelty and baptization,too has just taken place;

"Flamingo from "unnamed dark red" x "Picotee"
{{gwi:3032}}
{{gwi:3393}}

The blooms are not the biggest (a tribute due to the parentage "Picotee" I presume). But I do not care for that, should I? These blooms are so hard, so even, and so proudly upright.

The color pattern is similar to "Charisma" and particular to "Temptation" and I guess, no.... what do I say, I am SURE that these both outstanding hybrids have "Picotee" in their parentage, too.

Hans-Werner

Comments (8)

• birchlog01
    18 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS
    ARIF

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you!

Well - some correction in my description above:
    It's certainly understood that blooms are not HARD.
    They are FIRM - that's the property I wanted to pronounce.

Unfortunately this hybrid has proven to be a weak seed producer after self pollination.
    From these 8 blooms I obtained 4 seed pods, (the younger 2 from each scape failed) and a total of 140 seeds. And, consistent with my previous findings -
    that a low seed count indicates a derangement and degraded viability of the remaining seeds which develop further to maturity,
    - I obtained a rather low germination rate of this F2.

Hans-Werner

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Philedelphia on Chrisma produced only 25 seeds.But with good viability. The germination was 90 o/o. The seedlings are also robust let us seewhat I get in spring 2008.

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Charisma" x "Philadelphia" (pollen)
    that is exciting.

In this case all including barely acceptably growing seedlings should be kept in order to see how high the percentage of double blooming seedlings will be.

Or: Repeat this crossing next year - if you want to follow my idea of enhancing the niveau of quality as regards to growing properties, and perform the resopective crossbreeding on a bigger scale.

Then you will have the opportunity to rigorously rogue in your seedling's grex and select only those overflyers which promise to yield the very first flower scapes after only 2 seasons of continuous growing!

In this context please note: This maximum count of only 21 siblings from one cross (= grex) which I mentioned above and which I raise to a bloomable state IS the result of my selection for overflyers from a far bigger count of seedlings. Commonly I have more than 2 seed pods per crossbreeding attempt and I sow ALL.

Hans-Werner

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Wow, I do love that. Congrats.

It's interesting that Picotee is a parent. That has to be one of my least favorites.

Kevin

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you.

Some more samples of my Bilder stock are to come.

First be aware that the color distribution in purplish red amaryllis depends considerablly on the environmental conditions.

This IS Flamingo, too -
    But bearing the color which results under indoors forcement:

{{gwi:3394}}

Note that the younger flower on the left (facing upwards) which is to open under outdoors conditions already exhibits the typical color distribution I introduced with my previous images.

Hans-Werner

• soultan
    17 years ago

I LOVE Flamingo. I don't care if it is not officially registered. haweha, do you have any tiny bulblets of this variety?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville