Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

Hippeastrum papilio x ('Donau' x 'Ambiance')

haweha
18 years ago

The high-light of my amaryllis season is coming now.

..........H.papilio.......... x ('Donau' x 'Ambiance')

{{gwi:3408}}href> X {{gwi:3409}}href>

Nothing spectacular until now but I appreciate very much these particularly "wild" looking blooms.

{{gwi:3410}}href> {{gwi:3411}}href> {{gwi:3412}}href>

This very first one is rather tiny but let's wait and see what I obtain from the other 3 seedlings in some days...

Hans-Werner

Comments (8)

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To my great astonishment and initial deception the buds of all 4 siblings indicated me that they would yield blooms of similar appearance. I would never have guessed that I obtain such wild looking blooms from a species x 4ploid crossbreeding. Indeed the blooms ressemble more intermediates between H.papilio and H.aulicum. That's great experience!

The second sibling:
    {{gwi:3413}}href> {{gwi:3414}}href> {{gwi:3415}}href>

At least this one bears a central stripe on the outer segments and on the lower one, too; thus underlining the "star" characteristics...

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the 3rd seedling. It yielded the largest blooms exhibiting a remarkable similarity to H. aulicum v.robustum:

{{gwi:3416}}href> {{gwi:3417}}href> {{gwi:3418}}href>

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

And this is the the 4th sibling; the palest one but with an interesting shape. This seedling is emerging two further scapes which is rather exceptional for a 3 y old plant.
    {{gwi:3419}}href>

Now the evaluation of the self fertility of the 4 seedlings takes place.

Hans-Werner

• Bergit
    18 years ago

These flowers are really beautiful !

I like them better than another papillio-cross you have postet pictures of earlier !
    But of course that is just judging from the photoes, and they don't tell the whole truth, size matters for example...

These flowers are elegant !

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Bergit (But where are you)

I am glad to say that at least the self pollination of the latter hybrid - this one 4th sibling - was successfull - although I experienced a very low germination rate from these seeds which were so numerously produced (2 seed pods which contained 120 seeds each).

Interestingly the 5 plants of this grex refused to form any new leaves during this German "summer" and they caught up fpr that at the windowsill later - and in a very nice manner, emerging 5 to 6 fresh leaves simultaneously:

{{gwi:3420}}href> #
    clickable th_ (as above)

Hans-Werner

• devilx
    18 years ago

As usual...stunning! :-)

Cheers
    Sean

• haweha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Sean.

I achieved completeness of the PapDonAmb series some weeks ago.
    The performance of the
    {{gwi:3421}}

I feel very fortunate that I succeeded in envoking seed pod formation on this one as well as on #2 - and I used a pollen mix of some of my very treasures of my own production line *ggg* - some Dip's and TET's which I consider as superior. That is great experience compared to the previous almost entire failures.

{{gwi:3422}}
    {{gwi:3423}}

• lora_in
    17 years ago

Thank-you Hans-Werner!
    What lovely,fanged faces!
    I quite like the 4th sibling,the pale one :) The curls and ruffles are nice. Lora