Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seventowers_gw

Better pics of Amaryllis bulb/leaves ???

seventowers
18 years ago

Hi , Here some better pictures of the bulbs I have questions about. They were planted together in a mostly peatmoss based soil mixture . We receied alot of rain about 7 inches. When I unpotted them to clean them up I found alot of rotted roots as well.

These plants had some red streaks on the leaves before the start of spring . I let the bulbs grow outside all summer in full sun .

We had an abundance of leaf hoppers , grass hoppers , which I found on this plant.

Anyway here are more pics of leaves as well as other shots of the bulb . There is red on the other bulbs but it is easily peeled away and there is green underneath .

Any info would be great .

Image link:

Comments (6)

• haweha
    18 years ago

Well the leaves and the bulbs do NOT look so bad, seriously!

Rwemove the roots and spray with a dimethoate solution 1 mL / L of a preparation containing 400 g/L Dimethoate for example Rogor, Roxion, Perfecthion.

Then store the rootless bare bulbs at 13 to 17°C.

Repeat the spraying procedure once - let's say after 4 weeks

Wait until spontaneous new leaf growth appears.

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    18 years ago

The entire surface of the cleaned bulb should be sprayed thoroughly´, including the leaf bases.

Hans-Werner

• seventowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Hans ,
    The bulbs are sitting out on my sun porch which is enclosed.
    But I believe the temps have gone down just a bit lower thank 13 / 17C. Somewhere around 10C.
    I just looked at the bulbs tonite though and they look fine.
    The foliage on the bulbet appears to have no damage.
    Can I ask you what you think these bulbs may have?
    Thanks
    Laura

• cuddlyotter
    18 years ago

Hello: This reply is directed to Hans re: the recomendation about Dimethoate. I hope you are aware that Dimethoate is not available in some parts of the country/world etc. Here in Canada it has been taken off the market as of about 6 or 7 years ago and is not available to the public nor commercial growers/sprayers etc. I just wanted to make everyone aware of that just in case they went to their local garden centre etc to pick some up. Also: is Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) listed on the label as a species of plant that is recommended to spray? Being a systemic and a potent one at that, Dimethoate can cause more harm than good to the plant so caution should be advised.

Gerard
    (Horticulturalist at Greenland Garden Centre, Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada)

• haweha
    18 years ago

Hello Gerard:

I am sorry to read this news.
    In Germany the use of Dimethoate is limited to outdoors usage and now restricted to ornamentals only (formerly fruits, too, particularly cherries a.f.a.I.k.).

Dimethoate is not expressedly named on the instruction leaflet, within the little list of ornamentals which must be, needless to say, incomplete.

But I found it recommended in an official greenhouse grower book - one from the Ullmer Verlag - for the treatment of bulbs of daffodils and hippeastrums against tarsonemid mites.

My personal incomplete investigations indicate that systemic phosphorous organic pesticides like Dimethoate (and Oxydemeton-Methyl) work SOLELY as systemics. (Not on contact).

On the other hand I know for sure that Hippeastrums are not negatively affected by spraying into the leaf heart with dimethoate solurtion (1 mL / L) even repeatedly.

If you use it on the growing crop by application "from below" - that is via the roots by water administration in a solution of 0.5 - 1 mL / L then the leaf tips may dry up 2 weeks later - that is all and it is not detrimental to the plant.

Every one has to decide for himself whether to use potentially dangerous chemicals - regarding the benefits for his plants (which are more often than not REPLACEABLE)- provided he has the opportunity at all to decide - IF the respective pesticide is legal.

Personally I believe that bulbs from "0815" cultivars from the department store or garden discounter are seldom worth to be rescued by the usage of poisons whose risks, STILL UNTIL NOW seem not to be fully explored (!!)

In this sense your message, Gerard, was a valuable contribution to a more profound reflection on the subject FOR the forum community.

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    18 years ago

OOOOPs one correction:
    Dimethoate is not expressedly named on the instruction leaflet, within the little list of ornamentals

should be replaced by

Hippeastrum is not included within the little list of ornamentals...

Hans-Werner

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor