Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

New generation amaryllis' with H.papilio parentage

haweha
18 years ago

I first noticed that H.papilio derived hybrids are entering the market when I saw this red-and-white "Ambiance".

Some days ago I purchased the following hippeastrum as cut flower (6 individual blooms) and I want to introduce it here as I rate it as the best in this kind of color combination I got awareness of.

{{gwi:3570}}

Well the monger denied that this was "Ambiance" and I tend to believe him because the blooms of that cultivar I saw earlier possesssed much narrower segments - although bearing exactly the same kind of color distribution. As regards to colors the only discrimination I could make was that the central broad green-whitisch streak was covered with numerous small red dots and fine streaks. This "contamination" is virtually absent here.

I predict these H.papilio derived hybrids a great future.

Their substance (thickness and firmness of the flower segments) is better than those of the common tetraploid gardener's amaryllis hybrids.

The upper segments of the inner circle (the butterfly segments) are broader and perfectly in proportion to the other segments.

Only a more vivid and fine frilling of the edges would be able to still considerably enhance the beauty of these hippeastrumateous nouveau siècle trésors. The total absence of a fine frilling is attributable to H.papilio.

Hans-Werner

Comment (1)