Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

single variegated hippeastrum seedling

haweha
18 years ago

In the past year I have repeatedly published the valuable advice to perform sowing of hippeastrums on the highest scale one can afford.

On a production bench of 3 m2 I can sow out a maximum of 3000 seeds in 12 boxes of 50 cm x 18 cm.

Thus I could always easily follow my recommendation and have sown all seeds derived from all my exotic crossbredings, among them 120 seeds of

H.aulicum v.robustum x H."Giraffe"

click on the th_images

{{gwi:3624}}href> {{gwi:3625}}href>

The sense of mass sowing is to explore the degree of uniformity and the relevant differences in shape and growing characteristics and... to discover some accidental specialities - I like to say ornamental anomalities, with a higher detection probability.

I have now made a simple but f_cking good observation of a particular kind of variegation.

The white ligament is developed on the leaves of one side only (I considered even that just nobody will believe me)-

and it has nothing to do with a discoloration which is restricted on the midrib of those "affected" leaves of the respective one line.

This latter has successively come to light in the younger leaves, as the ligament tends to broaden, to slip towards the left half area of the leaf surface and tend to split, too (three thin green streaks can meanwhile be seen embedded in this broader ligament)

{{gwi:3626}}href> {{gwi:3627}}href> {{gwi:3628}}href> {{gwi:3629}}href> {{gwi:3630}}href>

This developmental dynamics are so exciting, and my anticipation is fortified because I must wait for every 2nd next leaf to determine what kind of progress *g* the variegation has undergone.

Hans-Werner

Comments (6)

• ninecrow
    18 years ago

Interseting Hans, Please update it's Progress as I'm Interested in seeing if it Continues 1 into the next Generation and what affect it has on the Flowers
    Thank you for Sharing this with us...

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

Hans-Werner, that is fascinating and very lovely.

I'm curious: do you know what might cause variegation on only one "side" (for lack of a better word) of the leaves? I've heard of this sort of thing with Iris germanica blooms, but have never received a satisfactory explanation as to its cause.

At any rate, what a great discovery. If that were my plant, I would be feeding it like never before, trying to push new growth to see what happened to the variegation. :) There sorts of things really try a gardener's patience...but are worth the wait, I think.

What is the probable ploidy of this seedling? I'm curious about what you might cross it with. Do you have H. 'Santos'? This one has beautifully variegated leaves, although they are not as striking as the leaves on your seedling--the variegation on Santos is dark green/light green. But what might crossing your seedling with a variegated hybrid do for the offspring? (I believe Santos is diploid. At least I hope it's diploid, and not triploid. I attempted to cross it with various 4ploid hybrids last year, and got nothing. So this year, if it gets over sulking after repotting, I will try it with 'Emerald' and the like.)

Sorry for so many questions; it's just such an interesting phenomenon. Thank you for posting on it.

Amanda

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Amanda:

Do not worry about your many questions - instead I thank YOU for your interest.

So at first I like to confirm that the plant is cared the very best way for, sitting in an "own" 13cm (2l) TEKU-Tainer under Osram L-Fluora tubes (200 W / m2; 16 h/day ) and guess, I even know rather accurately its actual water consumption at 22-24°C that is 45 mL / day.

As regards to inheriting this fine ornamental property to generative progeny I am not at all optimistic.
    I assume that this feature is somewhat more "superficial" - not at all embedded into the generative cell line initials (sorry for unadeqate terminology) I would just feel big satisfaction if I could finallly "bring" this variegation on the leaves of both lines.

My speculation is that bulblets from the variegated side will emerge variegated leaves only. That alone is good motivation to do the very best for the plant. Fortunately and as can be seen from the line of seedlings laying on the floor this exceptional seedling is one of the best growing of the grex from this H.aulicum x "Giraffe" cross.
    And furthermore both parents are well known offset producers

The ploidity of this seedlings should be 2n; this is common for species and rather the primordial hybrids.

2n cultivars cross with other 2n cultivars (selfing being mostly impossible).
    2n cultivars can SOMETIMES accept pollen of 4ploid hybrids.
    One which accepts promiscuitely all pollen regardless to coming from 2n or 4n cultivars - that is the above mentioned mother plant H.aulicum v.robustum.
    To the reciprocal attempt, I NEVER experienced any 4n cultivar to accept pollen from 2n, while these often big blooming hybrids are easily crossed among one another and selfed, too.

If you believe this beautifull straight white ligamented gracile H."Santos" with its dark variegated leaves to be 2n - what would you presume in the case of the similar "Baby Star" ?! - (It is a 4n from the gracilis subgroup)
    But please do not give up trying "impossible" crossings. It is only a question of time and of the number (of attempts)

Hans-Werner

{{gwi:3632}}href> {{gwi:3634}}href> {{gwi:3076}}href>

Baby Star; click on the th_ images

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Today I like to update this theme

{{gwi:3636}}href> {{gwi:3638}}href> {{gwi:3640}}href>

Incredibly but true: The bulb has meanwhile formed a first offset.
    But - alas - the first two leaves of this bulblet are... green - oh no - solely green

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Hans-Werner, It continues to be impressive!!! Were the offsets produced on the side of the mother bulb that is producing all green leaves?? It looks like from the pic that one side of the bulb is all green leaves whereas the other side has the variegated leaves. Once you get an offset from the variegated side then you will know whether it can be vegetatively propagated or if you will have to stabilize it with a cross I would think. As you may know the only variegated Amorphophallus konjac in existence started with just a smidge of white on the leaf from one side of the tuber. Daughter tubers from that side of the plant ended up being variegated, but those from the all green side were not so I think this is probably pretty typical for bulbous plants, although perhaps this is not the case...a variegated plant nut could help on this!! Please keep updating us :o) Dan

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I find this variation of the striped character very impressive, too.
    Now please have a closer look on the enlarged version of the center image. You can see the little green pin, below, on the left side?!
    This skew orientation is exactly that from the variegation itself, not that from the whole leaf bunch of the left side/line.
    I have to wait for a further offset in the latter orientation. Or perhaps for several - and this is simply thrilling.

But I am thankfull that this young plant exhibits offset formation in this early stage (1 y old) and I am confident that I shall have definite info - provided by further bulblets -within 2006.

Hans-Werner