Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips, daffodils and I think Fritillaria meleagris

Posted by sydneye 7b- Western WA State (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 0:18

I planted about 100 bulbs back in October with everything ranging from Darwin hybrid tulips, to narcissus thalia and narcissus trumpet, fritillaria meleagris, Allium and Scilla Siberica. I noticed a few days ago that some of the bulbs are starting to peak out, not the bulb itself, but, the green shoots. We've had quite a few really cold snaps hit, and some of those were just after I planted them (the ground froze and we got down to about 10 degrees or so just before Thanksgiving), and I am wondering... What do I do? Should these already be popping up? Do I need to cover them with more bark? This is my first year planting bulbs, but, from my diagram (and I wrote it down), to me it looks like some of my daffodils, fritillaria and the tulips are popping up early. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips, daffodils and I think Fritillaria meleagris

They're a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. In my 4 decades of gardening, I've seen bulbs be seriously damaged by cold weather ONE time, and that was the devestating April 2007 freeze, where a period lengthy period of 80 plus degree weather was followed by a hard freeze that saw temps plunge into the single digits. When that happened, the bulbs weren't just popping out of the ground, most things were already budded (tulips, alliums) or in full blooms (daffs, hyacinths).

They'll be fine, but you can throw some extra mulch over them if you want to, it won't hurt anything.

o

Thank you!! I just didn't know if that was normal. And it's not like you can stop a bulb from coming up if it wants to, just didn't know if it was caused by user error. ;) I will just try and relax!

o

No panic needed on the Fritillaria. They're hardy to zone 4. And Scilla sibirica is OK to zone 3. :-)))

o

I agree with the above comments - the bulbs are performing just as they should in western Washington. Top growth of bulbs is typically unaffected by freezing temperatures in winter, should it appear. Depending on their aspect and our weather over the next month, you might even see some blooms from the narcissus in late February/early March.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here