Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foreced Daffodils bulbs CAN survive pictures included

Posted by hostalover360 4-WC Wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 0:28

Photobucket

I wanted to make a post and give some hope to people wishing to put once forced bulbs in the garden by telling a story I had this the Yellow Daffodils to the left in the picture above. These were your typical foreced daffodils that can found in a large chain of stores. They were sitting on a rack selling for Easter which in that year was in late March I believe. I bought one, enjoyed it indoors then right afterwords I stuck it outside and buried the pot partly in the ground. Well it was left that way accidentally through the winter, un protected sicking out of the ground in a Wisconsin winter. When Spring came I was very surprised to see I forgot them! I slipped it out of the pot and planted it back where it was and this is what they looked like later that Spring, so not only did they survive the next year after being forced they bloomed! I think the main reason why these survived is becuase they were on a southern wall, but this is my story, so if you ever get forced bulbs especially Daffodils don't be afraid to try them in the garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foreced Daffodils bulbs CAN survive pictures included

That's great! Thanks for sharing.

o

I purchased a bag of daffodils at the hardware store just before winter hit, long after they should have been planted. I tried "chipping" them to force them to make bulbils. I threw them under the kitchen sink in baggies full of vermiculite where it is fairly cool temperatures. I just checked them last night and all kinds of baby bulbils have started! If it takes a few years to reach full size no problem...

o

They look great. If that's what they look like after forcing I bet this spring they will look amazing!

I used to have a neighbor who would take home all the faded easter flowers from his church. The whole side of his house was lined with bunches of daffodils, tulips and hyacinths.... if you have the space, any bulb with some life left in it is worth a shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here