Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Bulbs

Posted by giggles44 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 09 at 1:59

In preparation for Lent, I want to plant bulbs with the students. I have to consider price, too, though. There will probably be 40 children. I was wondering what might my choices be? We are in the Bay Area. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Bulbs

Give us the time frame for your planting as that will help to determine what bulbs may be available. Also you mention students, does that mean the bloom time is limited to a cut off date such as the end of a school semester? Al

o

It is too late to plant bulbs that will be blooming in time for Lent (begins 2/25/09), although you will likely find already started, containerized selections at local nurseries, even grocery stores, closer to that date. These generally run quite a bit more expensive than planting 'bare' bulbs, which should be done in fall for spring bloom.

If you want to plant actual bulbs at that time, consider planting lilies - readily available at that time and often quite inexpensive (depending on size and selection). The drawback is that these will not bloom until June at the earliest, so your students may miss the actual flowering. Some native bulbs may be a good choice also, but their cost and availability may be limiting.

Bulb rule of thumb: spring flowering bulbs are planted fall; summer flowering bulbs are planted in spring.

o

Please tell me if it is safe to seperate and move elephant ears at this time . I live in central NC. This is a zone 7

o

spenshook
Your EE should be without foliage in your zone. If you dig them up and separate the roots I would pot them up for now and keep the pots in a protected area, only replant after the frost. Established plants live through the winter with foliage frosted back, but newly planted roots may rot in cold damp soil. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here