Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could this be a Clivia?

Posted by roseseek z 10, SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 2:24

A good friend gifted me this plant, but was unsure what it is. The thing is healthy and looks like a Clivia with extremely wide leaves to me, but I can't find anything on line to identify it. Might anyone please be able to provide a name for it so I can learn more about it? Thanks! Kim
DSCN3279
DSCN3280
DSCN3281

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could this be a Clivia?

Maybe a Haemanthus? Not a bulb I know personally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haemanthus albiflos

o

Try Haemanthus coccineus. Leaves over winter, and summer dormant (essential). Flowers before the leaves emerge. Usually found just under the surface. Don't like to be disturbed - think 'years' and 'big pot' - or a dry south-facing clay bank. For zone 10 it should be happy outdoors.

o

Definitely not clivia. If that's coccineus, then the bulbs I purchased last year were mismarked. The leaves on mine were supported on a long stem.

I checked the leaves on my albiflos, and they are very similar, so that may well be what you have. Can the person you got it from help ID it? If it's albiflos, don't overexpose it to sunlight.

Is it my imagination, or are the leaves slightly variegated?

--Rr

o

Thank you! Unfortunately, the person who gave it to me doesn't 'speak plant'. He is a gifted animal breeder and can keep pretty much any plant alive. He just isn't tuned into them enough to remember much about them. Here are a few photos taken a little while ago. Hopefully, they'll help answer some questions about it. The thing appears to be bulbous to me. The foliage isn't striated underneath, nor variegated on their surfaces. There is a sort of embossed texture to the upper surfaces, but not heavily. Kim

DSCN3348

DSCN3347

DSCN3346

DSCN3344

DSCN3342

DSCN3339

o

Your plant looks like haemanthus. Nickname the blood lily. Mine is alba the white variety and blooms look like a shaving brush. Quite pretty
Bill Kemp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here