Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing parts of bulbs

Posted by Fargaud none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 3:55

Hi,

I have purchased some Dutch Iris bulb and was wondering whether I could grow pieces/parts of bulb rather than entire/full bulbs? What I mean is: can I cut the bulb in half (horizontally/vertically), in quarters and still hope a flower could grow out of that bulb?

I would love to get some pointers/literature reference on bulb structure and what parts of the bulb are essential for the growing of a plant.

Thanks in advance!

AF

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing parts of bulbs

Hi Fargaud and welcome to Garden Web and The Bulb Forum.

was wondering whether I could grow pieces/parts of bulb rather than entire/full bulbs?
Yes you can.

What I mean is: can I cut the bulb in half (horizontally/vertically), in quarters and still hope a flower could grow out of that bulb?
You would need to cut it vertically and be careful that each newly cut piece would have a portion of the basal plate.

The basal plate is the small root area on the bottom of the bulb.

For several years now I've been wanting to try my hand at propagating daffodils by division of the basal sections of the parent bulb, but just haven't gotten to it. Maybe 2012 will be the year for me to try.

The link below tells about the various propagation methods, along with good pics. I'm not all that familiar with dutch iris bulbs, other than I know they have basal plates just like daffodils, so they should be able to be propagated the same way. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck and if you try it, please try and report back to us on how it goes.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Daffodils

o

Just to clarify.... cutting bulbs is done to multiply some varieties, but the way you are describing would mean no blooms the next spring.

Most spring bulbs have a flower ready to go inside the bulb. Cutting the bulb as described will most likely destroy the flower bud.

o

Any of several methods may be used to multiply your stock, but all will require a year or two for the bulb to grow large enough to produce a flower. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here