Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will it take...

Posted by haxuan Vietnam (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 4:38

... for tulips to bloom from the time they sprout?

I've planted five tulip bulbs in a pot. They are sprouting now.

I wonder how long they will take to bloom from this stage.

Many thanks for your answer.

Xuan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will it take...

That very much depends on the temperature, light and weather conditions. In cool temps they could sit for weeks on end at a couple of inches high. I have some in pots here which were up well before Christmas but I don't expect flowers until March. Once they're flowering they may be over in a day or two if it is hot and/or windy. If it is cool,still and damp an individual bloom could last a couple of weeks. Also, since you are in Vietnam, have your tulips been given the necessary chill period? (Others can give you the low down on this, I have no experience of it as they don't need it where I live.) I'm assuming they're outdoors - if not can you let us know?

o

Hello Flora, thank you very much for replying to my post.

I'm in Vietnam but up on the mountain so the weather is quite cool this time of year (14-15oC).

Yes, the tulip bulbs I have were put in the fridge for several weeks before planting so I hope they were properly chilled.

I planted the bulbs about two weeks ago and they have now sprouted. The pot is outside, on the patio, where temperature at night is around 12-13oC.

Here's a photo showing the tip of one of the bulbs.

Again, thank you Flora.

Xuan

o

Are tulips one of those plants that require certain 'daylight' hours to blossom? Does Vietnam have much fluctuation in seasonal daylength?

o

I would expect it to take about 4-5 weeks; that is a guess.

The temperature you describe is very warm for tulips; typically it would still freeze a few nights a week in early spring in the temperate climates tulips are adapted to.

o

Just as an idea Xuan, the temp here has varied between 0c and 13c this month and my tulips look much like yours. (Only two nights so far @ 0c here. )But it will be quite a few weeks before they flower. I expect yours will be quicker as pizzuti guessed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here