Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forcing hyacinths--container?

Posted by vaherbmom va7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 8:43

I'm following the directions at oldhousegardens for forcing my Lady Derby hyacinths but wonder what containers others have used for this? They need to be suspended just above the water in the container. I put them in the tops of baby food and olive jars this morning--will that work?

thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forcing hyacinths--container?

Hyacinth vases and pots for the extras. I fear that your smaller jars might tip over with a full grown flowering hyacinth in them.

o

I was hoping I could move them once they start to grow. Apparently they need to stay stay out of the water for an extended period?

Thanks for the pic-I will have to look for something like that.

o

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Apparently they need to stay stay out of the water for an extended period?' Certainly the base of the bulb should never touch the water. They will reach roots down into the water if they are a fraction of an inch clear of it. It's quite hard to move them once they start rooting because the roots break really easily and they are difficult to get into a new container. I would try to get them into more suitable containers before they start to root.

Here are 2010s Hyacinths just set in their vases in October. Note the root development before they have even begun to put up greenery.

o

thanks, that's helpful. I think I have mine about 1/2 inch above the water so I need to add more.

Where do you find vases like this? I might be able to use my son's Bodum coffee pot for one bulb, tee hee. Not sure what to do with the other two.

o

I am in the UK and these vases are available in garden centres, florists etc. I bought mine at the local market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinth vases

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here