Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I encourage my amaryllis (H) to make bulbs?

Posted by philothea 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 9:00

My friend gave us a lovely amaryllis and it is now flowering. It occurs to me that the flowers, if fertilized, would make new bulbs. Is there a way to encourage this? I can only find how to care for it so it will bloom again.

I am afraid its pot may be too small for it to produce bulbs.

Thanks for any information :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I encourage my amaryllis (H) to make bulbs?

Not 100% sure what you are asking but it sounds like you want to pollinate the flowers? That would give you seed and then maybe seedlings which if cared for properly will bloom in maybe four years, probably much more :)
If the bulb is growing well it will produce offsets, regardless of pot size. Offsets will be larger and may bloom in as little as two or three years.

o

In Z8, it should be hardy. It would grow best in the ground if so, and you have ground space for gardening. Do you see them in other people's yards around your area?

It's unlikely that an individual bulb can produce seeds. Ams are often self-sterile or self-incompatible.
"commonly reproduces through allogamy. One mechanism that limits self-pollination is that of self-incompatibility by which seeds are only produced by pollination from other plants.[50][51] Furthermore the plant generally releases its pollen about two days before its stigma is receptive, making cross-pollination more likely.[50]""
- Wiki

o

I plant mine in the garden when the bloom is over. They won't bloom again this year, but if left in the garden they will bloom next year, about the end of May here. AL

o

Thanks, everyone, for all your help :)

My amaryllis is still producing flowers! Luckily I didn't know it would be hardy here in Zone 8 as we have not had a zone 8 winter (shiver).

Well, I am really happy about this flower and I want to get some more for next year. It is wonderful to have flowers blooming in January and February!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here