Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is My Amaryllis a GONER?

Posted by bosewichte 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 16, 11 at 9:01

I bought an amaryllis bulb last December and placed it on the windowsill of my sun room - a fairly chilly room that gets lots of sun in winter/spring but heats up nicely in summer/fall. I had green growth almost immediately, then a beautiful flower that eventually died back. I then had a SECOND growth, another flower, and then it died back. Since March or April 2010, I've had no new growth. I keep the soil moist, but I'm afraid of it rotting the bulb. Shouldn't I have some sort of new growth by now? Is it too late? Is there anything I can do to salvage it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is My Amaryllis a GONER?

Amaryllis bulbs need a cool, dry period from early fall until about December to "rest" for the upcoming blooming season. For this dormant period, I put mine in my basement and stop watering until I see new growth, usually a few months later.

After blooming in the winter/spring the bulb can be put outside in the garden or left in the pot in a mostly sunny area. A little fertilizer over the summer is a good idea, so you get lush green growth. Then in late summer to early fall, start the dormant period by bringing indoors to a cool spot, and withholding water until the green growth dries up, at which time it can be cut off just above the bulb. When new growth starts, bring up from the basement, put in a warm, sunny window and start to water again, just enought to keep the soil fairly moist, not soaking wet or it will rot. You should then get new flower buds forming.

o

Thanks! I'll go put it down in the basement until spring...hopefully it will come back to life in a few months!

o

I hate to be disagreeable, but most "amaryllis" or hippeastrum need no dormancy period. They can be evergreen in mild climates and flower sporadically. A lot of people force them into dormancy, myself included, to induce flowering. But by no means do they require it. Hippeastrum Papilio is a great example of an evergreen species and should not be induced into a dormancy as that would actually harm the bulb. The methods described by ontnative should would at getting forced blooms though. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here