Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelspur

Question Amaryllis Dormancy?

squirrelspur
16 years ago

My amaryllis has been in the cool basement w/ no water for about 2 months. I'd like to bring it out of dormancy but is it dormant? One of the bulbs leaves are still green - do I need to wait until those die? The other bulb in the same pot has dried out leaves.

Comments (7)

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Yes, it is dormant if it is not producing fresh leaves and scapes. Most hybrid types are evergreen, anyway. I would give it two more weeks, then start watering (gently at first) with tepid water once, to encourage it.

If it has been in the same pot for a long time you might want to consider repotting with fresh soil; or adding two inches of fresh top soil to the existing pot. The water well once; leave it in bright but indirect light and let it go!

Good luck, and let me know how this worked for you. :)

• squirrelspur
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks hopflower & I will let you know.

Last year we had such pretty flowers in the midst of winter - very cheering up!

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Here's one for you, squirrelspur:

Just opened this morning (after a long, long time)

{{gwi:4032}}

They do cheer a person, don't they?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Next year when you decide to force dormancy and stop providing water, turn the pots on their sides and when the leaves yellow cut them off. When you are ready to start growing again I also would replace the old soil. Al

• Donna
    16 years ago

If you get tired of artificially forcing your bulbs (or get ready for a new selection:), you should be able to plant your bulb out in your garden. They are totally hardy here in our area (for safety's sake, verify their hardiness in zone 7a, but I'm pretty sure they are), and they multiply rapidly and bloom faithfully every June. If you decide to do this, keep your plant watered and in as much sun as you can manage until after your frost date. Then plant it out. It won't bloom this summer, but will the next and ever after.

• prhart
    14 years ago

Does anyone have any tips on how to bring Amaryllis into bloom for the winter holidays? I faithfully stop watering the first of Sept. and cut back the leaves. Even after two months and totally dry soil, they sometimes only produce leaves at first when I resume watering and it may be 5-6 months before they bloom, if then. These are mature bulbs and I keep them crowded in their pots. I know that you can use cut apple to produce ethylene gas and promote flowering on some species but haven't tried it with Amaryllis.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Prhart!

I'm sure the folks at the forum linked below can probably tell you exactly when you should pull them from dormancy.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES