Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Bulbs Like Afternoon Sun?

Posted by brownthumb65 8B Tallahassee (naturalmeds37@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 9:51

Hi Everyone,

I am new to "bulbing" lol. I have a side of my house that I would like to just put some bulbs in the ground and let it go wild.

The problem is that it faces west and only gets some afternoon sun of maybe 4-5 hours because of tall pine trees.

What would you recommend I plant?

I am in zone 8B Florida and would like to start digging now or anytime soon.
Thanks!
Halime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Bulbs Like Afternoon Sun?

Here's some possibilities:
Canna (Canna x generalis)
Spider Lily (Hymenocallis species)
Rain Lilies (Zephyranthes species or hybrids)
Crinum Lilies (Crinum species or hybrids)
some kinds of Dutch Amaryllis (Hippeastrum hybrids)
Summer Hyacinth (Galtonia candicans)
and probably many others that I can't think of right now!

Good luck, and welcome to the magnificent addiction!
Kevin : )

o

I would think that about all sun loving bulbs would be fine with 4-5 hours of afternoon sun.

What would you recommend I plant?

I would suggest this fall that you plant some Daffodils for spring time blooms. Not all daffodils will grow well in your warmer zone, but the Brent and Becky's Bulbs site lists the suggested planting zones for different cultivars they carry.

Typically 'most' Division 8 - Tazetta will be fine for your zone, but I'd check for sure before ordering. Since you are in zone 8b, I'd probably stick with those that can be grown in zone 9.

Brent and Becky's catalog it presently closed to ordering spring blooming bulbs which are planted in the fall, so watch for them to open it sometime later this year if interested in ordering some really nice daffodils.

Sue...a daff addict

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent and Becky's Daffodils

o

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention if it is still ok to plant these NOW and have Spring blooms?

Thanks!

o

The ones Kevin mentions can all be planted now (or very soon) but will bloom later in the season - more towards and into summer. Spring blooming bulbs are typically planted in fall or early winter. Even if they don't need a long chill period, spring blooming bulbs do need time in the ground to develop a root system and get growing. If you plant now - like the narcissus - they will bloom late or if the temps warm up a lot before they're fully developed, they may skip this spring's bloom or they may bloom short and squatty.

o

Ok, Thank you all very much for the tips. I highly appreciate it. This is a very active and helpful forum compared to others I am on. From birds to grass to trees and shrubs you guys are the best!

Halime

o

Aside from when the proper time to plant the bulbs, sun-loving bulbs developed in southern climates will do fine given the afternoon sun. But even in the south, the sun can be too harsh so precautions should be followed.
Where the bulb grows up into the sun the flowers will soak up all they can get but its the roots that feed the plant and so protect the base of the foliage by placing something to shade the area. Rocks don't absorb the heat so they are good, wood also is a good insulation against the sun's heat so wood chips mulch is good. And don't worry about the wood attracting pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here