Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hippeastrum 'Ackermanii' & x johnsonii in Z 5 -6

Posted by krazyaroider Hamburg, NY 14075 Zo (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 10:04

Hello ~

I live in Hamburg, NY, just outside of Buffalo and considered Zone 6 as I am 1.5 mile from Lake Erie.

I trial many types of Plant in my garden. I am a Zone pusher! I have recently ordered Hippeastum 'Ackermanii' and x johnsonii from Plant Delights Nursery (PDN) to trial. I will grow in large pots to facilitate bulb offsetting so I will have extras to have/kill!?

I have searched online to find if anyone has tried it in a Zone 5 or 6 garden? Even colder Zone responses are appreciated. Please explain your success in detail.

Thanks ~

Gerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hippeastrum 'Ackermanii' & x johnsonii in Z 5 -6

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 23:49

I, too, would be interested to see if any Hippeastrum bulbs can survive outdoors in zones 5 or 6... as far as I'm aware, even zone 7 is pushing it, and most there use lots of mulch.

I'm in zone 5b, and I grow all my Hippeastrum bulbs indoors, using both natural window light and supplemental lighting.

I'll let you test your bulbs outdoors, if you don't mind... I'm a bulb addict, and I'd be heartbroken if any of my bulbs froze and died outdoors.

The only "amaryllis", and I use that term loosely, that I know of that can survive zone 5 winters is Lycoris Squamigera, commonly known as Naked Ladies.

Good Luck, though!

o

I had a potful of johnsonii (I think)that I tried outside in a warm part of zone 6. It didn't make it.
But.... I planted it late (didn't want to lug it in that fall)and it had no time to establish. I think an early spring planting might have given it a better chance.

I used to grow them potbound and keep them dry indoors overwinter. When there was a little bit of spring in the air (about when the crocus bloomed) I would put the pots outside to get a nice drink and start growing. They didn't mind the cold and bloomed nicely as long as I took them inside when the temps dropped down into the 20s.

Good luck. I liked growing them, but lost all when bulb flies attacked one summer.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 9:27

Personally, I wouldn't chance trying to grow any Hippeastrum outdoors in weather that gets below freezing. They are considered tender bulbs, and any place beyond zone 7 would be too cold.

Narcissus Bulb Fly is another consideration... these bee-like flies burrow under the bulbs, make a hole in the basal plate, and lay their egg or eggs inside the bulb. The larvae eat the bulb from the inside out, and emerge as adult flies, ready to breed and do it all over again. They are death to Daffodils and Hippeastrum bulbs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here