Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?

Posted by midwestplantsfan z5 Kansas (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 08 at 10:47

Hello all,
I just found this website yesterday and have been looking through it ever sense, I love it! As I was looking through some of the photo galleries, I saw a picture of some allium "ivory queen" and immediately knew I had to have them. Well my spring fever took over and I immediately ordered some without doing any research. Now I have seen that these should possibly be planted in fall. Are my bulbs going to be okay or am I out a few bucks for my over excitement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?

I saw the same posting and was seized with the very same fever:) Since they are only available for order in the fall bulb catalogs, I assume that it is best to wait and plant them in the fall. However, if you have them now, there is no need to lose them. Just put them in pots! I am not experienced growing allium karataviense, so I cannot advise you about such things as protecting them from cold through the winter, but I guarantee someone on this forum can and will. Stay tuned.

o

Yes, you can plant them in spring or as soon as your soil is workable and no longer frozen. Planting ASAP is certainly preferrable than storing them for any length of time. In fact I'd consider potting them up as soon as I received them rather than waiting until too much later to plant outside. But they may not do much this season. Ornamental alliums have a relatively early bloom season and do need a winter chill period, which is why they are included with other spring flowering bulbs for planting in the fall. Frankly, I am a little suprised at any reputable bulb dealer selling the bulbs this late (or early, depending on your perspective :-)). Generally alliums offered outside of the normal fall planting period are presented as started bulbs in pots.

FWIW, 'Ivory Queen' is a great selection. It is an early bloomer and has a low profile, making it a good choice for the front of the border. And it produces a large bloom, given the size of the plant. It also has an ability to maintain good foliage appearance, a real plus for an allium. Most alliums, by the time they are ready to bloom, are adorned with some really ratty looking foliage, making it necessary to hide their bases amongst other plantings.

o

Thanks so much for both of your answers. I did not even think about the buying time of these bulbs. I just got so excited when I saw a picture of these and found some on the internet. I figure I have less than 10 dollars invested in 15 bulbs, so even if none of them make it, I have learned alot about a plant I was not familiar with and have quickly fallin in love with. Thanks again!

o

The foliage does go dormant though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here