Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Can I plant dutch Iris in the spring?

steve22802
15 years ago

In the past I've only planted dutch Iris in the fall here in Virginia, but yesterday I saw some for sale with the bulbs they've just put on display for spring planting. Does this mean I could plant some now and still get blooms this summer? Or is Lowe's confused...? I've decided to try selling some cut flowers at my local farmers market for the first time this year and I'd like to put in some dutch Iris if it's truly not too late.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (6)

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

Yes, they are better planted in spring, Lowe's is not confused. Spring planting is recommended over fall, due to the foliage damage that will occur over winter.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, thanks! I'll plant some in a few weeks.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Steve,

I have only ever heard of them being sold on line and being shipped in the fall. I have never seen where you could purchase them on line at any other time.

Given that they are prepackaged for Lowe's or any other big box store, I would wonder if they were possibly leftovers from last fall, or that maybe they weren't even Dutch irises. If you have bought them and planted them I guess time will tell. If they do indeed come up and bloom I imagine the bloom would not be the best as often bulbs must acclimate themselves to their new garden soil. They may be a lot later too than if they had been planted last fall.

Next year you may likely be rewarded with nice blooms though at the right bloom time.

I have not had very good luck with DI. They seem to be fewer and fewer each year.

Sue...who just remembered she forgot to go check the mailbox today for surprises.....sigh

• brit5467
    12 years ago

I just found some at Roses (if u don't have them in your area, its like a small kmart or bigger version of Family Dollar) in bags, starting to sprout.

Just wanted to get feedback on spring planting since there were 2 different opinions on this.

Btw, I've had good luck with a variety of these cheap bags of bulbs...just never tried Dutch iris.

Thanks!

• artemisiawormwood
    12 years ago

I purchased and planted mine one year ago in end of the March ,they thrived bloomed and went dormant for just 2 months ,they have been growing since January and are developing well despite the short period of dormancy .Also weird
    enough they survived temparatures almost - 10 C for few days and survived . They are bulbs purchased from Poundland so they were cheap just pound nothing fancy or of very high quality ,yet they did great and the top of that they get only about 4 hours sun even in summer .So yeah not to worry they are performers .

• brit5467
    12 years ago

Thx for that info,,,but bit confused. When u say went dormant for just two months,,,,,,,,do u mean they bloomed again before fall? Don't want to put them in certain spot if all I get for rest of summer is foliage dying back.