Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgull_gw

sprouted bulbs inquiry

sgull
10 years ago

I was given some "old" store-bought bags of two different types of bulbs, hyacinth and crocus. While in the bag they've sprouted out and look like this. It's been suggested for storage during the freezing wintertime before considering planting outdoors that I could put them in a baggie with some peat moss or vermiculite and just put them in the fridge for now - then plant them outside as early in the spring as I can. Or that if I wanted I could force the bulbs inside. I'm leaning toward the option of storage until springtime I think. But I don't really have any peat moss or vermiculite, unless I were to go and buy a big ol' bag of it. How about just putting the bulbs in in a baggie with some old potting soil I have and storing it in the fridge. The potting soil is fairly "peaty" already. If that's not a good idea then I suppose I could go buy a big ol' bag of peat moss or vermiculite but I'd rather not spend the money for that right now if not really necessary for proper storage in the fridge. Any comments appreciated.