Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving an asiatic lily

Posted by meganpnw 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 12:42

I have a beautiful Landini lily, and a gorgeous Jacob Cline bee balm. Separately they are lovely - the way I have them planted together is horrible. Since I missed the boat on moving my lily in the fall, is it possible and/or advisable for me to move it in the spring? If so, any tips? Or do I just need to "enjoy" my clashing color combination one more year and move the lily this fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving an asiatic lily

I see no problem moving it this time of year. In most soils you should be able to move it with soil attached with no stress to the plant. Al

o

Since lilies are just as likely to be planted in spring as they are in fall - and still bloom that season - there is no reason you cannot move it now.

o

You'd never be able to even dig through our soil now, it is still frozen rock hard.

o

It is pretty unusual for zone 7 soils to freeze to any significant degree - a few inches at most and the temperatures must remain well below freezing (even during the day) to prevent any kind of thawing. Here in zone 8, it would require an extended period with temps in the low 20's for the soil to freeze deeper than an inch. And even that thaws as soon as it warms up during the day.

The weather in your area is pretty variable right now, but I'd suspect your brief 'tropical' spell (73F for 2/18 - I wish!!) is going to thaw things up quickly :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here