Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttkidd

hyacinth bulbs sprouting

ttkidd
13 years ago

A friend of mine gave me a pot of hyacinths last spring. Once they had finished blooming and the leaves had all turned brown I unpotted them an put them into a ziploc bag with some soil. They've been in the fridge now for a few months. I noticed today though that they've started to grow. Any suggestions on what I should do? Can I pot them up and grow them successfully inside?

Thanks,

Tyler

Comments (3)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I would certainly try it. Normally I put potted hyacinths straight out into the garden as soon as they finish flowering and they finish dying down outside. They flower next outdoors next spring but with slightly smaller blooms. They will then continue for many years. Since it is probably too cold where you are to plant them outside now I would pot them up and put them somewhere moderately cool, like a glazed porch, and bring them into a warmer room when they are a couple of cm tall and you see flower buds.

Next time you get potted hyacinths forget the bag and the fridge. Just plant them straight outside when the flowers fade.

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice flora_uk.

Unfortunately I don't have a garden outside. I live in a condo tower downtown Toronto, so all I have is a very small patio. I wasn't sure if the bulbs would survive in a pot over the winter so I brought them in when the leaves had turned brown. I'll give them a try in a pot inside and see what happens. I'm sure I can find a friend's garden to plant them in for next year.

Tyler

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Tyler, they may not flower for you indoors as well as the first year. That's why most folks plant them outside in the garden after forcing, and buy new ones in the fall to force for the upcoming season. Good luck.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz