Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerieannette

can I reuse paperwhite bulbs next year?

faerieannette
18 years ago

hi everyone.

the paperwhites I am growing indoors in soil and gravel are begining to fade. what do I do to save the bulbs? thanks!

-Annette

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Nothing. If grown (forced) in gravel and water, the bulbs have been depleted and will not rebloom unless able to replenish their store of energy. This typically takes at least a season, sometimes more, in the garden under typical bulb growing conditions. As paperwhites and other tazetta and tazetta-type hybrid narcissus are hardy in only very mild climates (typically zone 8 and above), your chances of achieving rebloom even in a normal garden setting are unlikely. But you could try. They will not rebloom under forcing conditions again, however.

• covella
    18 years ago

I bought beautiful gigantic Ziva paperwhites this yr and whent they were done, tossed them dirt and all into the garden a good month ago. Today I went out and touched them - not even mushy - just as firm as ever and the leaves are still green. We've had temps down to maybe mid-teens at night. Go figure

• faerieannette
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well I grew them in a soil gravel mixture. what do I do if I want to try to get them to rebloom. I am in zone 7 so like you said the garden is out. alyrics that is werid about yours! sould I cut back everything? just the stems? put them in plain soild in the dark? I am in the dark here.

thanks!

Annette

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Maybe this will give yo a bit of hope. I too have the paperwhites. I also have hyacinth bulbs. The paperwhites I bought in a bag. The hyacinths had already been forced and was in bloom when I bought them (and I bought them at Wal-Mart). I just kept watering them as I would a normal houseplant. When the foliage died back, I would water sparingly. A soon as colder weather hit this fall, I sat them, still in the same post and dirt, out by my front door. ABout 4 weeks later, I brought them inside as I could see them peeking thru the dirt. They bloomed beautifully, and filled the air with such a wonderful scent. I plant to do the same thing again this year, year #3. What do you have to lose? Go for it. :-)

Tina

• jderosa
    18 years ago

I've rebloomed paperwhites a couple of times in Zone 6 without a pause in flowering from year to year. I kept mine growing for as long as I could - I forced them in January, and kept them green and growing through August. They naturally died back in August (I guess it got too hot for them finally), and they started to sprout naturally in November. They rebloomed in the same pot and soil that January, and they performed the same way the following two years. I repotted them every year after that into fresh sil, and fed them moderately, and they seemed just fine. I dod not really precool them much - I just left them outside in a protected spot until early December here in NJ - they never froze, just got into the 40's.

Joe 'Nature is a wonderful thing' DeRosa

• faerieannette
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks I am going to try it. It cant hurt.

-Annette