Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
haemanthus albiflos question

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 13:11

Mine skipped flowering this year, although it has nice leaves and looks solid. Could this be to much light, or possibly too much fertilizer?

--Rr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: haemanthus albiflos question

Mine are sitting outside and grumping, too! And I'm blaming too much light and not enough food...

I think they got their rest period before spring. I haven't noticed any new leaves, though. And I know for sure that I haven't slipped them any high potash feeds for a while.

I'll see what a few doses of tomato food will do.

And you could see if a spell of less water/more rest will do the trick for you.

Fingers crossed for both of us!

o
RE: haemanthus albiflos question

I keep my albiflos in my chilly kitchen where it's getting less light during (northern hemisphere) winter than before. Water is reduced, and the plant has 4 rather large leaves, so it doesn't look unhappy. I forget when these flower, but it's overdue for repotting regardless...maybe repotting sooner is better?

I also have a couple of h. coccineus that I bought last year--nothing from them either, but I think they're spring bloomers, and the bulbs, now dormant, may be too small at 1.25" diameter. Definitely in need of repotting.

(Would you believe I finally found a boophone seed source!?)

--Rr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here