Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hope that's my snowdrops poking through the dirt

Posted by smord NJ z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 28, 10 at 14:22

Yay! Something's sprouting! I sure hope it's my snowdrops...if it's anything else they're too early and are going to be in trouble.

Anyone else get snowdrops this early in zone 6? I planted giant snowdrops, snow drops, and winter aconite....I assume it's way to early for the crocus...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hope that's my snowdrops poking through the dirt

It's not too early for the foliage on any of them to be showing. Winter aconite was the earliest blooming bulb in my former garden, followed by snowdrops then crocus. Early crocus are starting to show color here now and snowdrops are in full glory.

o

• Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 13:06

I have crocus, spanish bluebells (I think)and one intrepid daffodil poking their heads up here in 6b SE PA. Can't wait for spring!

Lisa

o

I have to go check out mine!
These came up one November:
Another Snowdrop in December

o

They must be the snowdrops - they look like pitimpinai's pic with the sort of white at the top of the foliage poking out. Unfortunately, they are now covered with snow again. should I leave the snow on to keep them warm, or can I (carefully) shovel it off so I can see what they're doing?

o

Leave them alone. They are protected by snow. Digging around may damage them.

o

I have planted many giant crocus near my hostas. I wouldn't be able to see them though right now, even if they did poke through. We have a couple of ft of snow on the ground with 6 more inches or so due today! So, even if something is trying to poke up it would just hit snow! lol
Bummer. I would love to be able to see a sign of spring right now! lol

o

I agree, leave them alone. Early spring flowering bulbs are very rugged and can withstand whatever Mother Nature does to them. They can easily withstand snow, and freezing temps.

Often snow will beat down some of the earlier blooming daffodils here, but once the snow melts a bit, they soon perk up and the blooms are 'almost' as good as new. By 'almost as good as new' I mean they likely would not be 'show worthy' but would still be very pretty in the garden or to pick and enjoy inside.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here