Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

too early to poke through?

toad_ca
12 years ago

I probably didn't plant my bulbs (Hyacinths, Crocuses, and Daffodils) deeply enough in October, and some are poking through. We only had a little bit of snow in November and temperatures haven't gone below freezing much at all. I've been covering them up with compost and soil. Is that the right thing to do? And, at this point, I'm not sure when to let them do what they want. It's hard to believe we won't get "real winter weather" some time soon. Advice?

Comments (8)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

And, at this point, I'm not sure when to let them do what they want.
    Just let them do what they want to now. I was just walking around looking at all the ones that emerged already. They will be fine.

I did however see a bud on one of the very early Van Sion daffodils, and it (the bud/bloom)will likely not survive the winter and bloom later. We have had unseasonable warm temps here through the fall, and now early winter, but it looks like that will end come Thursday when temps drop to below normal.

I've been covering them up with compost and soil. Is that the right thing to do?
    Though it wasn't necessary, it did no harm.

It's hard to believe we won't get "real winter weather" some time soon.
    I imagine your winter will set in here soon.

Many daffs that have been planted for years have started to emerge, as well as some new ones that were planted in early Oct.

Come on Spring!

Sue...heading back out to get the last of the daffodils planted...sigh.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sue. Our temps went down to 26 last night, and I believe we are forecast for some snow by next week. From here on out, anybody who is up will be left to the elements!

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

In Zone 7 it's normal for spring bulbs to come up in late winter.

Actually it's normal in many zones, but usually the cold will slow them down so they emerge but don't mature and bloom until spring. However have heard that in the U.K., where winters are cool and rainy, you can have narcissus blooming at New Year's! I'm sure yours will be fine.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

True - pizzuti, although the exception rather than the rule. I saw quite a few daffs out in the week after Christmas but that was down in the far South West. My earliest varieties are January Gold aka First Hope, and February Gold. Both are in bud now and the first JG looks as if it will open this weekend. My Dad, further south and by the sea, already has them in flower.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Yep - it's opened this morning :) A very cheering sight.

• stimpy926
    12 years ago

I've never had this particular narcissus up so early in the yard...it's an early blooming variety. In past years they bloomed early/mid March.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rijnveld's Early Sensation

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

early/mid march would be perfect! I added R.E Sensation this fall, and even though *some* people (lol Sue) would turn up their noses at the less than perfect blooms, I for one am looking forward to it settling in and multiplying!

Another early daff is Rip Van Winkle.....

Here is a link that might be useful: daff with a bad hair day

• marquest
    12 years ago

I live for my beautiful Spring show. Every year I save 2 bags of pine needles because we get these freak pretend Spring winter temps and they come up to soon and the buds get zapped and I do not get the Spring show I was counting on.

What I do is start to cover the bulbs that come up early with the pine straw and keep them covered even if I have to dump some more on top until Middle to late March. My Spring flower show makes winter Okay for me.