Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too early to poke through?

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 15:10

I probably didn't plant my bulbs (Hyacinths, Crocuses, and Daffodils) deeply enough in October, and some are poking through. We only had a little bit of snow in November and temperatures haven't gone below freezing much at all. I've been covering them up with compost and soil. Is that the right thing to do? And, at this point, I'm not sure when to let them do what they want. It's hard to believe we won't get "real winter weather" some time soon. Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too early to poke through?

And, at this point, I'm not sure when to let them do what they want.
Just let them do what they want to now. I was just walking around looking at all the ones that emerged already. They will be fine.

I did however see a bud on one of the very early Van Sion daffodils, and it (the bud/bloom)will likely not survive the winter and bloom later. We have had unseasonable warm temps here through the fall, and now early winter, but it looks like that will end come Thursday when temps drop to below normal.

I've been covering them up with compost and soil. Is that the right thing to do?
Though it wasn't necessary, it did no harm.

It's hard to believe we won't get "real winter weather" some time soon.
I imagine your winter will set in here soon.

Many daffs that have been planted for years have started to emerge, as well as some new ones that were planted in early Oct.

Come on Spring!

Sue...heading back out to get the last of the daffodils planted...sigh.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 11:27

Thanks Sue. Our temps went down to 26 last night, and I believe we are forecast for some snow by next week. From here on out, anybody who is up will be left to the elements!

o

In Zone 7 it's normal for spring bulbs to come up in late winter.

Actually it's normal in many zones, but usually the cold will slow them down so they emerge but don't mature and bloom until spring. However have heard that in the U.K., where winters are cool and rainy, you can have narcissus blooming at New Year's! I'm sure yours will be fine.

o

True - pizzuti, although the exception rather than the rule. I saw quite a few daffs out in the week after Christmas but that was down in the far South West. My earliest varieties are January Gold aka First Hope, and February Gold. Both are in bud now and the first JG looks as if it will open this weekend. My Dad, further south and by the sea, already has them in flower.

o
RE: too early to poke through? Update.

Yep - it's opened this morning :) A very cheering sight.

o

I've never had this particular narcissus up so early in the yard...it's an early blooming variety. In past years they bloomed early/mid March.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rijnveld's Early Sensation

o

early/mid march would be perfect! I added R.E Sensation this fall, and even though *some* people (lol Sue) would turn up their noses at the less than perfect blooms, I for one am looking forward to it settling in and multiplying!

Another early daff is Rip Van Winkle.....

Here is a link that might be useful: daff with a bad hair day

o

I live for my beautiful Spring show. Every year I save 2 bags of pine needles because we get these freak pretend Spring winter temps and they come up to soon and the buds get zapped and I do not get the Spring show I was counting on.

What I do is start to cover the bulbs that come up early with the pine straw and keep them covered even if I have to dump some more on top until Middle to late March. My Spring flower show makes winter Okay for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here