Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

vermin proof bulbs

jacqueline9CA
15 years ago

I have a problem I am hoping someone can give me advice about. I have a large window box outside of my kitchen window. It is about 10 feet off the ground, and is on the North side of a 3 story house, so it gets a little morning sun, but the rest of the day is in shade. I am in No Calif, about 5 blocks from SF Bay, in heat zone 9 - Mediterranean climate. In the past I have had great success growing impatiens or primroses there.

My problem is that for the past several years, no matter what kind of flowering plant I plant in the window box, they start out well, and then get EATEN by something within a week. Not dug up, just eaten completely away to the soil line. We have racoons, wood rats, possums, and squirrels which all climb all over our house, so it could be any of them. Also tons of birds including large crows and blue jays. Only critter I have been able to eliminate from my cast of likely suspects is deer - ours are too short. I have tried various "animal go way" sprays and hanging bags of whatever, to no avail.

It has occurred to me that there may be some bulbs that critters won't eat - I have heard that deer won't eat daffodils, and they don't seem to eat the ones I have in the garden. Does anyone have any recommendations about bulbs that critters won't eat? I am getting desperate, and thinking of taking the window box off the house because it is so depressing and frustrating!

Thanks for your help - Jackie

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville