Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Drimiopsis dolomiticus

bluebonsai101
15 years ago

I just got this rarity yesterday from South Africa and it still has a perfect leaf after being shipped around the world......when I saw the leaf I was sold!!! The leaves really do shimmer as much as they appear to in the picture by the way. Hope you like it :o) Dan

{{gwi:4435}}

Here is the description I got: "This rare species is only known from the Abel Erasmus Pass area of Limpopo Province where it grows on mountain slopes close to the summit of the colossal Drakensberg Mountains. The plants were originally collected by Dr. Codd some 50 years ago and remained undiscovered until recently. The bulbs grow in humus filled cracks on broken dolomite cliff faces or in soil pockets on sheets of steeply sloping rocks at the edges of wooded ravines. The leaves usually 1 sometimes 2 are extremely beautiful richly spotted in black and mauve. The leaf surfaces are covered in glistening water filled minute pustules causing them to impart a silvery appearance. The flowers, in the early summer, are sweetly scented."

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz