Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drimiopsis dolomiticus

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 3, 09 at 15:31

I just got this rarity yesterday from South Africa and it still has a perfect leaf after being shipped around the world......when I saw the leaf I was sold!!! The leaves really do shimmer as much as they appear to in the picture by the way. Hope you like it :o) Dan

Drimiopsis dolomiticus

Here is the description I got: "This rare species is only known from the Abel Erasmus Pass area of Limpopo Province where it grows on mountain slopes close to the summit of the colossal Drakensberg Mountains. The plants were originally collected by Dr. Codd some 50 years ago and remained undiscovered until recently. The bulbs grow in humus filled cracks on broken dolomite cliff faces or in soil pockets on sheets of steeply sloping rocks at the edges of wooded ravines. The leaves usually 1 sometimes 2 are extremely beautiful richly spotted in black and mauve. The leaf surfaces are covered in glistening water filled minute pustules causing them to impart a silvery appearance. The flowers, in the early summer, are sweetly scented."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drimiopsis dolomiticus

Pardon me while I dribble and sigh and think wistful thoughts before I say - I hope it does superbly for you, and multiplies. Thanks for sharing. (That shimmeriness. Mmm -mm.)

o

Glad you liked it.....I was totally blown away when I saw the leaves and had to have it!!! I thought it might be a spectacular form of Resnova when I saw it, but am happy it is a Drimiopsis as they are less rot prone.....now if it will offset nicely I will be ecstatic :o) Dan

o

That is really cool.

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 5, 09 at 16:44

Another unusual beauty... nice, Dan! Love that leaf color!

o

very nice. It looks like some kind of sea creature. I hope it does well for you!

o

Glad you all liked it....now I just need to adjust it to our hemisphere :o) Dan

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 7, 09 at 6:11

South Africa has some of the most unique and interesting bulbs and plants I've ever encountered... Dan, if anyone can be successful at growing this unusual beauty, it's you! What else have you got that's getting used to our hemisphere?

o

We were fortunate to have some specimens flowering in cultivation at Leopoort South Africa.

Pics at http://soilandroots.com/desert-plants/Drimiopsis/dolomiticus/drimiopsis-dolomiticus.html

Hopefully the few seeds we harvested will germinate and grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here