Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to order alstroemeria

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 16:08

Hi everyone, I have some alstoemeria aka peruvian or princess lilies and I would like some more. I was wondering if any of you order from any particular place. The ones I buy at Kroger are real tall but mine I have at home are only about 18 inches tall. Let me know if you know where to get them. Thanks a bunch, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to order alstroemeria

I also responded to your post on the Lilies forum, so might want to check there as well. Alstroemeria are not true bulbs - what appear to be bulbs or tubers are actually just enlarged or swollen roots that are water storage organs. Alstroemeria are available as started plants (in containers) or by seed. If you do a google search, you will turn up a few online sources - Plant Delights Nursery in NC has one of the better selections of hardy alstroemeria......not all varieties are and the ones you find as cut flowers in the grocery or at florists are unfortunately not. Seeds are available through Thompson and Morgan and Jelitto, but these will be hardy hybrid mixes, not named forms.

I've attached an older posting on this forum that explains it a bit better :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Old alstroemeria post

o

Thanks gardengal, I had seen a couple places that sold them but was looking for a specific color. Now that I think about it the colors of the ones I was looking for are the ones from Kroger and they might not come in those colors for the shorter varieties. Our Lowes has sold them some but they are always the same color. A great local nursery has sold them 2 years but didn't last year so I will check with them to see if they can get a few at least. Thanks for your help. Judy

o

Hello

I did some research a couple of years ago because I was looking for nice tall yellow gold alstros that I see at my grocery store. The tall alstromeria you see at the grocery store and florist cannot be bought as plants. It is patented I think.

The tallest yellow alstro plant that I bought was at my local nursery. It was called the "third harmonic". It has an orange yellow bloom. The one gallon pot cost me $15.

I also bought a yellow alstro plant from a catalog . It was a total disappointment because it had only three little roots that never matured into a plant.

o

The ligtu and Dr. Salter hybrids, which can be obtained easily by seed (if not by the plant), grow quite tall - upto 3' or so - and are generally in the yellow, gold and orange colors. These also tend to be some of the more aggressively spreading and reseeding forms so be aware!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here