Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginning gardener frets over mulch

Posted by victoria2393 Z8/OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 16:08

Hi Folks! I read the FAQ, but am still worried about my bulbs, hoping for a little advice.
In my area it does not normally snow, so I covered my newly-planted bulbs (in mid-november, which was as fast as I could prepare the beds,)with 2-3 inches of fine bark mulch. One month later, we had three weeks of heavy snow and unusually hard freezes. Now it's doing the freeze/thaw thing.
I planted tulips, grape hyacinths, english bluebells, english irises, double poppy-anemones, lavendar mountain lillies, and alliums. I know that my timing could have been better for some of these, and that the anemones may not have survived the cold... but I'm very new at this and the learning curve is steep.

So my question is: Since all of the bulbs were planted at recommended depth, should I remove the mulch when the weather warms up? Will my baby plants know to grow? Will they be able to make it through two inches of bark? I marked the plantings well and also made a map, so if I need to selectively uncover them I will be able to.
Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginning gardener frets over mulch

You did everything correctly! They will make it through the 2 inches of mulch very easily. You planted at the correct time...although maybe Late October would have been ideal. You may notice them starting to raise the bark a little as you get into February and March. The plants will do all the work and just push them aside. Try not to disturb it as you might break off the shoots accidentally. Again great job! Do show us some pics when they are emerging and blooming!

By the way, ours started peaking through the mulch a couple weeks ago. We then got 6" of snow on Inauguration Day. Today it got close to 70degrees. The bulbs are used to the roller coaster ride that is late winter/early spring temps. Mine look un-phased. I hope this helped!

o

• Posted by cnid z5b Ont Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 21:35

I can't believe you were organized enough to make a map of where things are!! In late planting season, esp if it gets cold, I practically throw the last 50 bulbs at the flower bed and hope that's good enough!

I have had tulips and grape muscari get snowed on when they were blooming and they were fine. Allium are very forgiving for me but come up much later. I hope you enjoy the show they give you when they get blooming - you will be hooked.

C

o

Thanks so much for your reassurance-- it's great to have experienced gardeners to turn to. I'll try to relax and let the bulbs do their thing :)
cheers,
~Victoria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here