Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoria2393

Beginning gardener frets over mulch

victoria2393
15 years ago

Hi Folks! I read the FAQ, but am still worried about my bulbs, hoping for a little advice.

In my area it does not normally snow, so I covered my newly-planted bulbs (in mid-november, which was as fast as I could prepare the beds,)with 2-3 inches of fine bark mulch. One month later, we had three weeks of heavy snow and unusually hard freezes. Now it's doing the freeze/thaw thing.

I planted tulips, grape hyacinths, english bluebells, english irises, double poppy-anemones, lavendar mountain lillies, and alliums. I know that my timing could have been better for some of these, and that the anemones may not have survived the cold... but I'm very new at this and the learning curve is steep.

So my question is: Since all of the bulbs were planted at recommended depth, should I remove the mulch when the weather warms up? Will my baby plants know to grow? Will they be able to make it through two inches of bark? I marked the plantings well and also made a map, so if I need to selectively uncover them I will be able to.

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)