Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth bulbs all outta whack.

Posted by amalthea z6VA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 16:32

Hi everyone! I was hoping for some advice what to do when hyacinth bulbs go off their regular bloom cycle. I purchased the bulbs out of season (About March/April) as they were on super clearance and were an unusual color. I potted them up and put them outside figuring they would grow a bit, not bloom, go dormant and be ready for next year. They surprised me by blooming their little heads off (On really short stems) producing a lot of foliage, which I let ripen, and went dormant in mid summer. Fast forward to now and I see that they have not only broken the surface but have flowerheads on them! I had left them potted in containers because I was concerned about drainage and critters and now I'm not sure if I should pull them into the sunny unheated garage and let them do their thing or what? Will it be possible to ever get them back on their natural schedule? They seem otherwise happy and several have split and made healthy baby bulbs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth bulbs all outta whack.

This won't answer your question but it sounds like you have too much of a good thing. I'd consider you lucky. Hopefully the grape hyacinth I planted in the ground in fall will eventually come up this spring and that they don't get too much water from all the snow.

o

I'm grateful they've more or less made it (Critters ate my crocus) I'm just a bit concerned about the long term effects of planting that far out of season.

o

My hyacinths are also off schedule, I planted them in fall and they have been trying to grow through the snow for about a month. Also I saw bags of hyacinths at Lowes all sprouting in the bag (that was in December).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here