Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This amaryllis looks weird! Too much light?

Posted by brbnightmares 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 16:34

This was a clearance purchase, it looked the sturdiest and was the only one there that wasn't fully out of the bulb looking like a dead goose...

BUT the shoot coming out was PURE white when I got it. I have tried letting it into the light easily as a "best guess" practice, but it is getting a reddish brown color I have never seen on any plant I have cared for. Also I am colorblind so maybe it is more green than I can tell. No idea!

Is this thing doomed?

The bulb was super firm and still had some nice spongy, fleshy roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This amaryllis looks weird! Too much light?

Looks absolutely fine to me. If it had been kept in the dark the bud would be pale whatever the colour of the flower. Yours looks perfectly healthy. Do not restrict its light. On the contrary, give it all the light you can and don't keep it too warm.

BTW yours appears to be going to have two bloom stalks.

o

Great!

I have grown these a lot but I have never bought one so late in the season.

I will put it in bright light, I didn't want it to get a sunburn after being in a box, but I guess it knows what it is doing and it has had two days of low light.

It was folded over on itself and it has already straightened out, so I feel good about it. Plus it was only $3.50!

o

I'm the designated advocate here for putting hippi's outdoors in full sunlight. I had one that flowered in June, and stayed outdoors exposed to rain, wind, and full sun. The flower stood up to this without any support at all. As long as the night temps are above 50*F, it'll be fine. (Just protect it from slugs!)

o

I'm the designated advocate here for putting hippi's outdoors in full sunlight. I had one that flowered in June, and stayed outdoors exposed to rain, wind, and full sun. The flower stood up to this without any support at all. As long as the night temps are above 50*F, it'll be fine. (Just protect it from slugs!)

o

"I didn't want it to get a sunburn after being in a box" I imagine that's about the same as emerging from the soil in the ground.

o

'As long as the night temps are above 50*F, it'll be fine'.

I am assuming the OP has bought a prepared Hippeastrum which was intended to be flowered indoors at Christmas. It can certainly go outside in the summer after blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here