Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb ID help please?

Posted by courtcourt 7A (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 16:44

I bought my home in the middle of summer last year, and didn't do much work to the outside, because it was blistering hot, and because the inside needed a lot of work. We had a couple of days of decent temps, so I set out to pull out the ugly, non-descript bushes in the already established beds, and start some new ones.

I found a TON of these bulbs, growing in little clumps, in a bed by my mailbox, while attempting to dig up what appears to be a small tree stump. I vaguely remember there being tall-ish flowers of some sort, maybe 2-4 feet tall, in that spot, but I'm not sure if that was a result of these bulbs, because I didn't see the house until June. Any guesses? It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but the leaves are growing very flat and fanned out a bit (and this is on all of them.)

Photobucket

In the process of digging, I saved as many as I could, but some got broken up. I'm much more used to growing from seed, so forgive the stupid question, but can I replant the ones that snapped apart from each other, or are they a lost cause?

Thanks!! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb ID help please?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 21:31

Bearded iris.

o

but can I replant the ones that snapped apart from each other, or are they a lost cause?

If the broken parts show any signs of having growth nubs on them, then you can plant them and the nubs will develop rhizomes that will in time bloom. Also cut away any part of the rhizome that doesn't have any roots on it.

Here is a good FAQ from the Iris Forum. How do I dig, divide, and transplant bearded irises? It discusses plant spacing as well as planting depth, which very shallow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see a rhizone with a fan and different sized growth nubs.

o

Yep bearded iris, and they naturally snap apart as they multiply and grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here