Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unseasonable warm winter

Posted by gardengal_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 17:54

I live in Denver, CO. We are having a very mild warm winter. 20 plus degrees warmer than average. I planted a ton of tulips and hyacinths this fall. How might this warm weather affect the bloom outcome. Or even worse, the bulb itself? Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unseasonable warm winter

We are too. For what it's worth, my hyacinths are coming up slightly earlier, but they are coming up. I doubt any of us know for sure till we see what happens...

o

There may be no connection at all - however - we had a very rare, lasted for days, snowfall this winter past, in mid-August. All the spring things were into putting up flower stalks. Typical zone 9 spring, then snow.

Hyacinths were fine. Tulips were hopeless. They either didn't flower or went to mush. Some daffodils didn't bother showing up at all. Seedset was patchy. Very patchy.

They can manage the warmth, but the cold bursts can throw things out of kilter, as far as I can tell.

o

In Denver also. I think the warm winter is fine - this is a little warmer than average but it's not a record-breaking warmth. Denver is Zone 5, and I'd say we have had maybe a Zone 6 winter. All tulips and daffodils I know of still grow fine in Zone 6. Also, despite the warm days it's still getting pretty cold at night, and the nights are long, meaning the cold penetrates deep so the ground is staying pretty cool throughout the day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here