Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1chemyst

caring for/ prop'n daffodils

a1chemyst
14 years ago

i recently got 6 daffodils (in the same 10in pot). I was wondering how long they typically bloom (both plain yellow and white and yellow blooms). Also, aside from seed and bulb how do they spread? can i split a bulb and replant half and each will grow? or just completely cut off the bulb and it will grow back then plant the bulb. other methods? also any care tips, humidity,etc

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

Daffodils spread by making more bulbs, which are easily separated and replanted. Do not cut Daffs in half. If you let the foliage die down first you can then remove the dead foliage. Next spring the bulbs will grow again. Divisions are not usually taken the first year or two. Al

• a1chemyst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

so i cut off the whole bulb right? then just put the bulb in another pot and the original will regrow right?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi a1chemyst,

Welcome to Garden Web and The Bulb Forum!

I was wondering how long they typically bloom (both plain yellow and white and yellow blooms).
    It would vary by the cultivar, as well as by the inside temperature. The cooler it is, the longer the blooms will last. It would also help if they were maybe put in a cooler place at night, and then just brought out to enjoy during the daytime.

When answering questions it would help to know your garden zone, and/or state. You can add that to your Member Profile so it will be automatically shown whenever you post as well as being shown on your Member Page, by going to the Member Pages link below, and then clicking on Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences. You can add your zone (if known) as well as your state in the one box provided for the garden zone See I am zone 5/6 S INDIANA.

The most common way of propagating daffodils is by the bulb growing and maturing, and then it will split on its own and make 2 smaller bulbs. Some bulbs are a lot more prolific and grow and divide themselves a lot faster than others.

{{gwi:4774}} is a pic of a bulb that has a new bulb called an offset that has formed off to the side.

The link below describes propagation of stem bulblets. I however have never seem stem bulblets on daffodils.
    Taken from the link below.
    Stem bulblets, are underground bulbils produced on the stem of the daffodil. These bulblets can be cut or peeled off and planted just like the offsets are.

can i split a bulb and replant half and each will grow?
    Yes, you can, though I have never tried it myself and don't know of anyone else who has tried it.

The link below describes 4 other methods of propagation, none of which I have ever tried yet, but would like to maybe this year.

Scooping, Scoring, Coring, and Sectioning.

Daffodils can also be grown from seed. Some daffodils are seed fertile, or pollen fertile, and some are both. The resulting daffodils will not come true from seed, but will be a new cultivar.

or just completely cut off the bulb and it will grow back then plant the bulb. other methods?
    You will not want to cut the foliage back until it has yellowed and died back on its own. Depending upon your location, and the cultivar of the daffodil, you may then be able to plant it in the ground in the fall for blooms in following years. It may not bloom for you the first following spring, as bulbs grown for forcing are often pretty well spent and may need more than one season to recover.

I would not advise growing it in a pot the season following it being purchased and forced into bloom. I'm assuming you bought them already potted up for blooming,right?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Daffodils