Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinthes and Stars of Bethelehem

Posted by a1chemyst (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 19:05

(with the assumption that a Hyacinth is a bulb) well i got each, both of which must be replanted... wondering if while i was transplanting i could split the bulbs or do something with them as far as prop'n with bulbs or anything else for that matter (i can tolerate prop' in water is open also). any other things neccesary for growing etc. they can both be planted outside after frost is gone right? will bulbs survive down to 5 degrees or so, thats the lowest its been, ever, its frickin cold in georgia this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinthes and Stars of Bethelehem

Are these still just bulbs or growing plants? If bulbs, they can be planted out as soon as your soil is workable (i.e. not frozen). If potted plants, allow the foliage to die back naturally, then plant out later in spring. Hyacinths are tricky for beginners to propagate, requiring precise cutting of the basal plate, and slow to produce bulblets so I wouldn't recommend it. They can grow from seed but allowing the mother bulb to produce seed depletes its energy reserves and you still have to wait several years before the offspring reach a blooming size.

Star of Bethlehem, Ornithogalum umbellatum, will naturalize and spread easily all on its own. In fact, many who have planted it intentionally now regret it, due to its aggressive weediness.

o
RE: Hyacinthes and Stars of Bethelehem

o ok then ill just leave them both as they are and just repot them if neccesary thanks ^_^

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here