Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why do hyacinth flowers droop

Posted by the_man_fern (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 26, 07 at 19:23

hello

i am growing hyacinths from bulbs indoors under lights

when the flower heads come into bloom the whole thing flops over
at first i though it was because they where heavy but when i tied them up they continued to flop from there

they are moist so its not because they are dry.

any ideas or has this happened to you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why do hyacinth flowers droop

Hyacinths are quite top heavy. I plant them close together (but not too close) so they can support each other. Garden stores also have plant supports that work well.

o
RE: why do hyacinth flowers droop

I read that the famous gardens where the beautiful photos come from, Keukenhof, use wires to keep those beautiful heavy heads in their photos straight up. They just run a wire down the stem into the bulb.

Florists often just put a bamboo stick down in the pot and attach the flower stem with a bit of florist's tape. A bit of droop keeps them from looking stiff and unnatural.

My experience with growing hyacinths in the garden is that second year flowers are not as full and heavy and stand up nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here