Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slight problem with forced bulbs. :-/

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 19:26

I had this grand plan of putting my bulbs in the refrigerator earlier than normal so I could have blooms now through February. Great, except now I'm going on vacation for a week. (End of Jan - beginning of Feb)

The hyacinths most of all look ready to be taken out. All the bulbs have had their required time.

Problems:

1. I don't want to miss the blooms while I'm away.

2. I don't have a cool place to keep them until the sunroom warms up a bit. (Hadn't thought of that back in Sept.)

3. Not crazy about letting my cats alone with all those flowers. My house is too tiny to keep them out of a room for a whole week with only a babysitter coming in once a day.

Any chance they'll be okay in the refrigerator until around Feb. 7th?

Help!

Thanks! ~Deborah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slight problem with forced bulbs. :-/

I dont see why not, I know of some online sellers that are still selling cold forced bulbs and have been doing so for months. They may start to sprout, but thats ok. Pot them up when you get home, or pot them up now and put them in the garage. Should be fine.

o

I should have mentioned they were potted when they were put in the refrigerator. I guess they will be okay. Just don't want to ruin them.

Thanks so much for your advice!

o

scully931

Your potted bulbs should be just fine until you wish to bring them out of your fridge to a warmer area. I force several kinds of spring bulbs in my basement cold cellar, and bring the pots out a few at a time so I can enjoy the flowering blooms over a longer period than if I brought them all out at once. As long as the pots are kept consistantly cold, the bulbs will only grow slowly, just as they would do if planted outdoors in a cool climate under the snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here