Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot to plant bulbs!!

Posted by jtvinnereim82 Minnesota (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 20:45

It's January in Minnesota and I just found A LOT of unplanted tulip and daffodil bulbs! I was supposed to plant them in October and now our ground is frozen. The bulbs have been in our hall closet since fall (a relatively dark and cool place) and they feel firm and look good. What should I do with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot to plant bulbs!!

Plant the tulips in pots, water and put them outside. There may be a detail or two I'm missing when doing this, but as long as the bulbs are viable this should work. The daffs. needed to establish a root system in the fall, so i'm not knowledgeable in this instance.

o

After you plant them in their pots, I would suggest putting them in your cold cellar, unheated room or garage, anywhere they will be cold, but NOT freeze. If they freeze now, they will likely die or be very deformed. Bulbs planted in the fall have a chance to root and gradually acclimatize to the below-freezing temps. Your bulbs cannot adapt so quickly.
Remember to keep the soil damp over the winter, but do not over water, or the bulbs will rot.

o

Great Question and here's a Follow-up.
If they are dormant now, what advantage would they have, breaking dormancy and growing in a dark location in a pot?
Will the roots begin to grow, but the tops not grow until placed in warm sunlight?
Bulbs do many strange things and I'm still trying to figure out why they do, what they do. :)

o

pretty much what you said, roots begin to grow when planted, tops grow in the spring when it warms up.

These bulbs are summer dormant. The come from areas where the only good times to grow are fall and spring.... so get the roots down in the fall that way they can support the explosion of growth that takes place in the spring. As soon as drought and brutal temperatures kick in the bulb goes dormant again.

The "other" bulbs are summer bloomers. Usually they do their growing only in the summer and do the dormant thing in the winter.

o

Thank-you, kato b. I never really thought about roots growing without the tops growing at the same time. This helps me put the pieces together in my mind. Now the instructions for my forced hyacinths make sense. :)

o

The tulips probably are "annuals" anyway; most of them do not do great the second year. But you might get a "save" on the daffs if you do the pot thing & then plant outside after the ground warms---they will use their leaves to make the following year's flowers and then go dormant. And it depends on the kind---some of them are very durable and some of the fancy breeds much fussier about their setting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here