Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip Bulbs Question

Posted by daisyb 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 20:51

I was given 70 longstemmed mixed tulip bulbs before Christmas. When I started to plant them in November, I read in the instructions that in my zone #8 they would need to be pre-chilled 6-8 weeks before planting. I put them in the refrigerator and with the hustle and bustle of Christmas, I didn't get them planted. We have already had some low 20's temps; however, the forecast for the next couple of weeks is for warmer weather (60's in day - high 30's and 40's at night). I will be planting them in a raised bed that has soft topsoil and compost. Should I plant them now or can I wait until Spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip Bulbs Question

Plant them now! they need plenty of time to grow roots before trying to bloom.

Kevin : )

o

Thank you tugbrethil for your advice. I planted them this afternoon. Upon reading the instructions once again, it stated that they could be planted as late as December, so I'm not as late as I thought.

o

As long as you planted them as deep as recommended (6-8 inches) they should be fine. Hope the compost was well-rotted, tulips don't get along well with anything actively rotting because they are vulnerable to fungus and bacteria. Usually bonemeal is the fertilizer of choice. You should water them if the ground is dry and it's well above freezing - they need water to make roots.

o

Tulips appreciate cool weather and the bloom will last much longer on the plant. They do best when planted in the full sun, and should complete their bloom cycle before the weather warms up. Your raised bed sounds like an ideal location. Al

o

I agree with the other posts to plant them now. I've also read different things about bulbs being stored in refrigerators; because if they're too close to some types of produce, that could be damaging to the bulb. However, I hope that wasn't the case with yours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here