Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which bulbs bloom in the fall?

Posted by brandyray Coastal NC/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 20:55

Hello, everyone. I love lilies and trumpet lilies and amaryllis, but most of my bulbs bloom in the summer, I need some bulbs that bloom late summer and fall. I bought some lilies called August Flame (?) that bloomed late but I haven't come across any in catalogs since. Suggestions? Thanks, Brandyray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which bulbs bloom in the fall?

Here are some possibilities:

Tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa) if you have a hot spot in the yard.
Nerine species.
Lycoris species.
Rain Lilies (Zephyranthes species and hybrids).
Cannas (Canna x generalis), which bloom spring through fall.
Cyclamen hederifolium, in shade.
Fall-blooming Crocus species.
Colchicum species.
Sternbergia lutea.
Re-blooming bearded Iris.

And probably a dozen other things I can't think of right now.

Kevin : )

o

Thank you, Kevin. That is a very helpful list. Most of them I am familiar w/ (just don't have any) but a few are new ones to me. I will check them out at Brent & Beckys. Brandyray

o

Oxblood lilies (Rhodophialis) are also fall bloomers.

o

Dahlias --- look for the later blooming ones.

o

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do like the tuberose, in part because it is fragrant (and my whole backyard is a "hot spot"), so I think I will order some of them.
The dahlias have to be planted each yr, I do like them but they are expensive when they have to be replaced (too much in my bulb garden to be digging up bulbs).
The Zantedeschia looks interesting but exotic- I wonder if it picky? The catalog I am looking at mentions they do well potted up in a pond- I suspect the dry sand would not agree w/ it.
I am still working on it, but I appreciate all the info. Brandyray

o

I have settled on the tuberosa, oxalis, glad Murielae, glory lily, zantedeschia, and tigridia. I like cannas, but when I had them before some kind of bug kept eating them, and I decided I don't want to plant something that the bugs will eat up. Brandyray

o

You might prefer to keep your Oxalis in containers for two reasons:
you can put them closer to eye-level to enjoy the blooms;

you can keep control over them! They proliferate when happy. They need annual thinning, and growing them inground makes for a lot of work. (Some can be weedy.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here